_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Opinions please: Bismarck advice
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 07:37 AM UTC
OK I need your opinions please; in terms of just the awness (I know it is not a word but I couldn't figure out a word for what I was trying to say) What is more impressive;
1. The Bismarck with the sharp black and white demarcation lines (may 1941)
2. The Bismarck with the sharp black and white demarcation lines on hull only
3. The Bismarck with the low visibility (faded) black and white demarcation lines on hull only
4. The Bismarck with no demarcation lines
I am not sure how I want to her, I have always swayed towards #1. But it seems like the lines just jump out at you in a stark contrast. Kinda leaving Bismarck in the shadows, if you know what I mean. I know the in May 1941 configuration was when Hitler came to visit Bismarck so she was looking very pristine and not yet weathered. Even just before her sinking 1 week into sea trials was she weathered enough to weather a 1/700th scale model? or maybe not. What a dilemma!
Thank you once again.
MikeMx
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi

I would recommend you take a look at the galleries on modelwarships and steel navy. There are quite a few Bismarck's on there, it might help you decide, which colour scheme to go for.
Also the Warship Pictorial book on Bismarck is an excellent photo album of her and again may help you choose. I would favour some weathering, especially if you model her at or after the Denmark Strait encounter.

thanks
Mike
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK I need your opinions please; in terms of just the awness (I know it is not a word but I couldn't figure out a word for what I was trying to say) What is more impressive;
1. The Bismarck with the sharp black and white demarcation lines (may 1941)
2. The Bismarck with the sharp black and white demarcation lines on hull only
3. The Bismarck with the low visibility (faded) black and white demarcation lines on hull only
4. The Bismarck with no demarcation lines
I am not sure how I want to her, I have always swayed towards #1. But it seems like the lines just jump out at you in a stark contrast. Kinda leaving Bismarck in the shadows, if you know what I mean. I know the in May 1941 configuration was when Hitler came to visit Bismarck so she was looking very pristine and not yet weathered. Even just before her sinking 1 week into sea trials was she weathered enough to weather a 1/700th scale model? or maybe not. What a dilemma!
Thank you once again

Quoted Text

Hi

I would recommend you take a look at the galleries on modelwarships and steel navy. There are quite a few Bismarck's on there, it might help you decide, which colour scheme to go for.
Also the Warship Pictorial book on Bismarck is an excellent photo album of her and again may help you choose. I would favour some weathering, especially if you model her at or after the Denmark Strait encounter.

thanks
Mike

Or better yet, come on over to the salty side of Kitmaker, Model Shipwrights, and try the guys there....you will get all your answers there, mate!

Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP