Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
fuselage clamps
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Member Since: January 05, 2010
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 02:26 AM UTC
Does anyone know if there are special clamps available for joining scale model fuselages together and if so ,where I might find them Thanks, John
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Member Since: December 28, 2009
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
How do you want to join them? Do you mean clamps for temporarily holding something while you glue the halves together, or do you mean some sort of internal clamp that will be used as a permanent holding solution?
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Member Since: September 20, 2006
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 01:43 AM UTC
Visit you local hardware store. The same clamps used for making such things as furniture and picture frames can be used for scale modeling. Just look at the selection they offer, there are many different styles and shapes. Much of the tools we use are taken from other hobbies and applications. Don't limit your resources to that of the scale modeling venue.
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Member Since: February 28, 2002
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:42 AM UTC
plain old rubber bands work wonders on the odd shapes
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
Member Since: November 05, 2005
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 03:03 AM UTC
John, you're only limited by your imagination. Rubber bands, clothes pins, and binder clips are a few things you might find just lying around the house. On a trip once, I used the clip on a motel room skirt hanger.

There are small spring clamps at places like Harbor Freight that have a 1" capacity and run around 6 for U$1.99, I've also picked up a miniture ratcheting clamp at one of the big box home improvement stores, be carefull you can crush a fuselage with one of these. Years ago a buddy gave me some RC aircraft building clamps that were an L shaped clamp with a sliding jaw that was held in place by a rubber band.