_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratch scale corrugated tin tool
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi folks

I decided to make an alteration to a tool that I think 1/35 scale diorama builders will appreciate. All done within an evening.

Bought one of these paint tube squeezers from the Works book and crafts shop on a whim to see if I could use it to make corrugated tin. It Worked well but it only gave short lengths of the corrugations.

Since they are only £0.99 pence each and made of plastic the next decision was easy. Bought another three.

I cut off the side runners in full on one (leaving the three centre pieces now detached), and one runner to each of the other two (opposite on each keeping the centre section attached to the remaining side).

The cut off runner sections were smoothed off flat and kept to act as joining pieces on the underside.

I sanded the cut edges of all parts making a sloping angle so that the edges could be super glued back together with a good size of mated surfaces.

I used car body filler to help fill in the mated surfaces. I now have a capability to form strips of corrugated tin in 1/35 scale width of upto 2500mm and length upto 6300mm.

You can see the profile achieved with the flattened foil right and corrugated on the left for comparison.

And how about this for my proposed use. Can you guess?

Simple, cheap and very effective. Hope you will agree !!!!!

All the best

Nige
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 03:34 PM UTC
very resourceful, thank you

HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 05:50 PM UTC
What will be made with the corrugated tin? Nice camper build [shown elsewhere] by the way--makes me homesick.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What will be made with the corrugated tin? Nice camper build [shown elsewhere] by the way--makes me homesick.

Hi Rick

Thanks for the compliments ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I take it you mean the Bedford CF my dad used to have

This is one of the uses I have put the corrugated tin to

And this is the other planned use

Plenty of carry out tins available to make the Nissan hut. That and coffee stirrers for the floor.

Nige

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
Very nice Nige...why not glue 3 rollers together, indexed of course, for wider pieces? Maybe a wooden dowel or PVC pipe inside them for added strength....
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 04:41 PM UTC
An evening of cutting and pressing corrugated tin

According to the web pages I have looked at the 50 odd sheets I have will easily make a hut scaling in about a foot long.

Trying to decide if I will do a timber or concrete floor. More coffee stirrers or plaster?

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hi Folks

Mutley and Avril bought Mk 1 version from me at Perth to do more buildings and equipment for their 1/32 farm diorama so I got some more tube squeezers from the Works.

Mk 2 version is four wide this time and I also decided to glue three of the rollers together to be able to roll long stips in one single go. The cut strips were harder to keep steady and straight on the back with the four wide.

Still to try it out on tin foil to see if it is any harder to press down in one long roller.

Nige
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 637 Posts
KitMaker Network: 566 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC
Nice job,
Where can I buy these tube squeezers at?
I want to make one!!!
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC
That could be copied in resin- you should consider cranking a few out.

I'd pay $15 for that rather than a couple of hours trolling for the correct parts to build my own.

Excellent job!

Steve
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hi Steve

Wish I could work out all the bit I would need and then simply run them off.

Is a different question getting the product just right for the discerning modeller with a price that fits a budget.

It is so easy to make that an hour or so with a sharp saw, some sandpaper, superglue and a tiny bit of filler and everyone could make their very own for less than £5.

I am sure that someone somewhere has already got the silicon brewing to make a far neater version than I could wack out.

Do you think I should ask for a penny or two commission on theirs? Tee hee !

Nige
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 01:02 AM UTC
Nige, that's WAY outside the box thinking. Man, I love watching all these threads and learning from you guys. Awsome ideas!

Hermon
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 395 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Nige,
Nice idea and alternate use for the impliment.
I'm still a little dumb-founded that there is such a thing as a 'paint tube squeezer' .
Just thought - maybe if you put a solid steel bar through the centre it may help a little with pressure control, also if you have access to a lathe, the steel bar could have nubs at each end that could fit into the slots on the base sidewalls.

Roger.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige,
Nice idea and alternate use for the impliment.
I'm still a little dumb-founded that there is such a thing as a 'paint tube squeezer' .
Just thought - maybe if you put a solid steel bar through the centre it may help a little with pressure control, also if you have access to a lathe, the steel bar could have nubs at each end that could fit into the slots on the base sidewalls.

Roger.

Hi there folks

I got round to trying the roller out at the model club the night and it needed a little bit more pressure to get the wrinkles in. The big advantage (literally) was the ability to get a big sheet rolled without having to reposition the smaller roller again and again.

This also meant there is no risk of missing start the edge and getting it all out of shape.

Hope to see your own homemade versions and the wrinkly tin Nissen huts, Conset huts, etc appearing all over the forum.

Army, Navy, Air force, Civvy,
Nige
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
Nigel...think "kitchen rolling pin" for the roller assembly{yeah I know - duh} but with an "added" insert thru the roller for hand holds on either side, you could get more pressure laid down on the foil. The only problem I could see is if the bottom flexes from the added downward pressure, so if that happens bed your base on some plaster on a wooden base{3/4" thick should do}.."if" base flexing became a problem...and you'd probably have to reduce the side base height to clear such a change in the roller too.

I cheated on my bi-level commuter cars and used evergreen corrogated sheet{the big sheets}...that won't due, of course, for any huts or open structures.

..my two cents{us currency} for what its worth....
 _GOTOTOP