_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Sure an age old question!
mebucko
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC
Good Evening!
Please excuse what is probably an often asked question! This newcomer to armor would love to build an M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo, specifically the "Cobra King". From what I have read, there is no OOB model that is even close to accurate, without loads of resin conversions and add-ons to an older Tamiya kit (#35139).
Am I correct? Would greatly appreciate any guidance and advice you can provide!
Cheers, and have a wonderful evening!!
Bill Bell
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Bill,
Welcome to Armorama!
You are correct. You can start with the ancient and largely inaccurate Tamiya kit. Then you can search for the Tank Workshop parts to trick it out.
Or you can buy the box of Blast parts all together.
But the absolute best way to go is the Formations "conversion". It's really almost a full resin kit and you only need a few bits from any VVSS M4 kit. Yeah, it's $75, but it's worth every penny.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:37 PM UTC
You'll need to also lay your hands on track with the extended end connectors. Tamiyas M4A3E2 comes with this track, as does Dragon's M4A3 76mm wet premium edition (note, NOT the Battle of the Bulgeversion.) Cyberhobby boxes the Dragon track individually but its pretty hard to find. Panda sells some as link by link, and IIRC so does AFV club.

John
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 06:48 PM UTC
The Formations kit comes with the Dragon DS track with EECs.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Formations kit comes with the Dragon DS track with EECs.

I don't think that is entirely correct. The way I understand it it just says what is needed from the Dragon kit. "this kit" would refer to the Dragon kit and not the Formations conversion. Quote from the formations Homepage:

Quoted Text

M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo Conversion -$75

Kit F107

An extremely detailed and accurate conversion. The parts were scaled with teh assistance of original Ordnance Drawings. This kit was designed for the use of Dragon Kit #6325 M4A3 (76) W Premium Edition as a donor. This kit includes the proper suspension, lower hull tub, and DS tracks with extended end connectors. Our kit can be built using almost any 1/35th scale M4A3 VVSS kit as a donor.

Kit Includes

• Complete replacement Jumbo turret, reproduced with the aid of factory contour drawings
  • Complete upper hull assembly, with detailed weld seams, casting numbers, and the distinctive added armor plates
  • Heavily armored transmission and final drive housing reproduced with subtle cast texture and casting numbers
  • Includes a complete set of vehicle periscopes, and pioneer tools
  • Accurate exhaust deflector
  • Distinctive built up gun shield, with Lion Marc aluminum gun barrel
  • Complete set of late big bearing roadwheels
  • All crew hatches can be assembled open or closed
  • Highly detailed spare track stowage racks, and rear cargo rack

But I might misunderstand of course, haven't seen the kit myself...

Cheers!
Stefan
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC
Ohhhhhh now I see it. Stefan I believe you are entirely correct. I read it wrong. I thought "this kit" referred to the Formations resin, but "this kit" refers to the Dragon 6325 kit. I saw the Formations conversion all built up, unpainted, on Rob's stand at a show.

So if you get the Formations conversion, you still need the proper suspension, lower hull tub, and DS tracks with extended end connectors. These can be obtained all in one box by getting the Dragon Kit #6325 M4A3 (76) W Premium Edition and using it as the donor kit.

My bad. Thanks Stefan.
mebucko
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
Thanks, Matt!
I have just checked out the Formations conversion - looks like a goodie, but I now have the Tamiya 35139. Jumped on an ebay deal. Guess from the good advice here, it would not work on mine. Saw that Formations does make the correct turret, which I can order - also saw that I could also use their correct transmission cover. Anything else you would suggest?
My goal is to do the "Cobra King", if I can ever find the Bison decal sheet for it! Hard to find!
Thank you so much for the reply, and have a wonderful evening!
Cheers,
Bill
mebucko
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi John,
Thank you so much for your reply! I have a lot to learn re armor, coming fron aircraft!
Have a great night!
Bill
mebucko
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:56 AM UTC
Thank you Stefan, for your reply. This is a great forum for a newbie to armor to learn!
I really appreciate the advice!
Have a great weekend!
Bill
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:51 AM UTC
Bill,
The 3 big things you need to change are the turret, the tranny cover, and add weld seams around the side applique armor. Those are the big fixes, the rest depends on how crazy you want to get. If you're just starting out, those 3 should make you happy.
You can get the decal set you want from Ausfwerks - BD 35031
for $9.00. They have it in stock. They're a good outfit, order with confidence. And of course, Rob at Formations is one of the best guys in the business.
mebucko
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC
Thanks, Matt,
With the turret,and transmission cover I'm fine. Are there photos of the weld seams anywhere? Should I use sprue, putty, or glue to simulate them?
Thanks for the Ausfwerks link. I did place an order today, but Jeff wrote back and refunded. He has none in stock, and doesn't expect to order any more. They do look like a good company for future use.
Have a great night, and thanks again!
Cheers, Bill
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:12 PM UTC
Sorry about that Bill, I always thought the "now in stock" button meant he had it. I've searched around for it, but it's OOP and nobody has it. Maybe post a want for it on the buy, sell, trade forum. Keep checking eBay and the Bison site. They regularly reprint OOP sheets when they can.
As for the welds, everybody has their favorite method. I like doing it with stretched sprue and liquid cement. The long, fluid welds for the M4A3E2 might be better done with putty.
mebucko
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:30 AM UTC
Good Morning, Matt!
Thanks - I'll keep at it in the decal hunt.
And thanks for the advice re the weld seams - Ive never tried added them before.
Have a great weekend, and stay out of this rain! ( a day made for model building). At least its not snow!
Happy Daylight Saving Time!
Bill
Steve_W
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I'll keep at it in the decal hunt.
Bill

Hi Bill,
If you get really desperate you could try Hannants in the UK... http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=BD35082
HTH,
Steve

Edit: Oops, my bad... that links to King Cobra not Cobra King... doh! ;o)
mebucko
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 10:51 PM UTC
Good Morning, Steve.
Thanlks for the reply. No prob - I've done the same thing several times during this "quest"!!
Have a great Sunday!
Bill
 _GOTOTOP