_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
tarps & bedrolls. whats best putty?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,465 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
thinking about makeing my own bedrolls, tarps etc. need advice on a good putty.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 12:54 PM UTC
I like Aves Apoxie Sculpt or Sylmasta Magic Sculp. They are similar and can be rolled quite thin, providing you use enough talcum powder to keep it from sticking to your tools.
Apoxie Sculpt
Magic Sculp

Cheers,
Jim
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:16 PM UTC
Another alternative is to use tissue paper. Soak it in diluted white glue, drape/roll it as needed, and then when it gets slightly stiffer, nudge it around with a scultping tool to put bulges and ripples in it. Once it totally dries you can paint it to match whatever item you're recreating.

After that you can use brass or string as tie downs, punch out some brass eyelets for tarps, etc etc.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:33 PM UTC
thanks Kevin & Jim! are those two products available in the U.S.? ordering online isnt an option for me now. what do you dilute the white glue with....water maybe?
tlivancso
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
I like to used Kneadatite also known as Green Stuff. Works great and very strong use petroleum jelly to keep it from sticking to tools.

Cheers,
Thom
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks Kevin & Jim! are those two products available in the U.S.? ordering online isnt an option for me now. what do you dilute the white glue with....water maybe?

Yeah, water works fine. You really need very little glue in fact, just enough so that it will slightly stiffen the tissue paper so it won't unfurl when dry.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
THX kevin! i will try the white glue first since i have it on hand.i can practice makeing bedrolls and tarps many times without any cost. wish me luck!
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another alternative is to use tissue paper. Soak it in diluted white glue, drape/roll it as needed, and then when it gets slightly stiffer, nudge it around with a scultping tool to put bulges and ripples in it. Once it totally dries you can paint it to match whatever item you're recreating.

After that you can use brass or string as tie downs, punch out some brass eyelets for tarps, etc etc.

I do this as well. I use tissue paper from gift wrapping and it works great. Cheap as anything, and you're done in an evening. Just made a bunch of stuff for my M3A1 HT.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 08:48 AM UTC
hi john,
im building the old italeri m24 chaffee and cant really afford stowage sets at this time. got lucky on the PE for the kit as my nephew had it on hand as well as some ww2 ammo boxes. its been a fun little kit except tha vinyl tracks. the paint keeps flakeing off!
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi john,
im building the old italeri m24 chaffee and cant really afford stowage sets at this time. got lucky on the PE for the kit as my nephew had it on hand as well as some ww2 ammo boxes. its been a fun little kit except tha vinyl tracks. the paint keeps flakeing off!

The real trick is to let it dry a little to put in the final folds, etc.

John
 _GOTOTOP