_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How Do You......?
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi Gang,It`s a typical boring Sunday here in the UK,so i decided to have a rummage through my 100 or kits in my stash to see what i fancied doing next.It was then that i hit my next brick wall,where the heck do i put it when it`s finished ?!?.About three years ago i was banished to a shed in the backyard as the SWMBO (i`m not lucky enough to be married to an understanding one ) did`nt want them in the house.I duly fitted it out with shelves and a few creature comforts but now those shelves are full and the stash shows no sign of shrinking !!.
What do i do know ?,and how do i confess to the SWMBO that my our beloved hobby is now getting out of hand ?!!.
Any comments most welcome and perhaps a laugh or two along the way...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC
Here are a few suggestions. A local hobby store might appreciate them to put on display. Most stores, at least on this side of the pond, have some kind of case to display finished models, to show their customers what can be done with the kits they sell.

You might also look for veterans organizations, to see if they would like to display them. Or local museums.

I used to work at a desk and I had some on display in my cubicle.

You can always try to sell them on e-bay.

If worse comes to worse you can pack them away once they have been on your selves for awhile, to make room for recent additions.

My SWMBO is less than enthusiastic about me getting new kits, so I feel your pain. She is fairly complementary when I finish a kit though. Guess which reaction I get the most of, disgust when I get a new kit, or compliments when I finish one?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
I know this will come as a shock to most, but living in a small apartment with limited display space, I normally dispose of the majority of the finished models, after taking photos for the site.
I know I'll burn in "Modelers Hell" for this sacrilege.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
I put my finished models in the glass cabinet where my wife keeps various family heirlooms. Whenever she complains about modelling as a hobby I say "Well maybe I'll take up drinking instead"
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 07:52 AM UTC
If your finish rate is any where close to mine (5/225), I'm betting on looks of disgust.

My stash has been mostly banished to 9 boxes out in the storage shed. I've taken over a desk with a view of the TV and close enough to the kitchen to play fetch that I don't collect too much flack.

Roger is right, many local hobby shops here do display completed kits. One local auto repair shop has a large number of models on display. I think that the owner or one of the mechanics is the modeler.

My local modeling gang (we're not organized enough to be a club) has a rotating display with the local flight museum where we display models for 2 months based on some theme. I recall a local library lent it's lobby display case to a local modeler for a 1 month display. None of these are permanent, but id does allow for some changing scenery.

Do your armed forces recruit from neighborhood locations (store fronts or such)? They might be interested in using your UK / Commonwealth subjects for their offices.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC
Start talking about taking up golf. Mention the cost of club membership, green fees, clubs (irons, woods, putter), bag, trolly, all weather gear, balls, shoes, checkered trousers.... then how time-consuming it is.... See if that puts things in a better light!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious solution - Danny, build a bigger shed!

My finished work gets a brief stint gathering dust on a display shelf at home before going into boxed storage in the loft. What's new/relevant goes temporarily into "travelling" boxes for transport to modelling shows, and is relegated to the aforesaid deep storage as newer models take up residence in the travelling boxes. Turnover is glacially slow due to my completion rate...

Tom
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know this will come as a shock to most, but living in a small apartment with limited display space, I normally dispose of the majority of the finished models, after taking photos for the site.
I know I'll burn in "Modelers Hell" for this sacrilege.

I'm burning there with you Dave. Mine mostly hang from my kids bedroom ceiling, even the tanks. I just don't get a buzz from my own builds once the are done. For sure they aren't good enough to give anyone else a buzz. Apart from maybe lighting a spark of creativity in my kids heads. I know the wife wouldn't have them out on display and I would have to agree. They are OK in museum or club.

Sean. I hope she nevers calls your bluff lol.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 06:16 AM UTC
Or you can be like me. THAT'S MY CABNET, that ones yours. She doesn"t complain because her's is bigger.
 _GOTOTOP