Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Pattom Museum armor moving to FT Benning!
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 858 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC
Looks like I'll finally have somewhere to visit some armor down here!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/thread/1267580227/Knox+armor+artifacts+begin+move+to+Benning
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 858 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 12:47 PM UTC
heres some volunteer info links
http://www.armorcavalrymuseum.org/Join.html
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
I'll definitely have to mark that as a daytrip. Me, my trusty camera, and my ex-military dad. Soon as I go, you can look forward to some pictures.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
An Armor Museum at the HOME OF THE INFANTRY...! Well, if thats what it takes to keep these Museums Open and Active. Next time I visit my sons, I'll have to add it to my visit. milvehfan
Treadhead12
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 02:31 AM UTC
Fort Benning, home to the USA Infantry School; new home to the USA Armor School.

At least the armor museum is closer to me. A one long day trip from Birmingham, Alabama. And now there should be two museums - armor and infantry. Yes, take a carema.
alecponting
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 07:06 PM UTC
Es war gerade bekannt gegeben, die US-Armee wird in der Tat bewegte die Ft. Knox-basierte Patton Rüstung Museum nach Ft. Benning, GA Anfang September 2010. Wenn die Rüstung Center seinen Umzug nach Benning, es war das Museum würde in Ft Aufenthalt angegeben angekündigt. Wissen, wo es seit 60 Jahren. Aber sie änderten ihre Meinung.

herpa minitanks
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC
It should have been moved by now. I was at Benning last year and they were doing all kinds of work there.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 03:46 PM UTC
The Infantry Museum at Benning was pretty nice as it was...adding the armor will make it that much better...I loved being stationed at Ft. Benning...a lot of awesome history there...

Is the Patton Museum closing for good as a result?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 09:57 AM UTC
I heard about this a year ago, and it still hasn't moved? I'm beginning to think it's just rumor.
jccraemer
Visit this Community
entire network: 462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC
looks like a trip down to benning is on for the fall. I havn't been thier since '94 when I got out. How I miss harmony church and main post that red clay that loop around the airport.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 11:15 AM UTC
I was at Ft. Benning today and stopped by the Infantry Museum. I asked about when the Armor Museum was going to open. I was told there is no projected date. They are still in the process of moving vehicles and trying to raise money to build it. Right now all of the vehicles, equipment, etc., are in storage on Ft. Benning and not accessable to the public. The only confirmed information about the museum is that it will be located close to the Infantry Museum location.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard about this a year ago, and it still hasn't moved? I'm beginning to think it's just rumor.

It's not a rumor, check out this thread from back around Christmas on ML.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/thread/1292540293/Early+X-Mas+Gift+1-1+King+Tiger+and+Panther+II
Other stuff has shown up since then I've heard, but knowing how the government works (or doesn't ) who really knows when we'll be able to see the vehicles on display.
Even without the "new" displays the infantry museum is worth the trip, there are several armored vehicles on display outside the museum.

Mike
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Infantry Museum at Benning was pretty nice as it was...adding the armor will make it that much better...I loved being stationed at Ft. Benning...a lot of awesome history there...

Is the Patton Museum closing for good as a result?

Was driving home from Nashville last week and happened upon signs for the Patton Museum, so pulled off the highway to find it. I got there just as it was closing (4:30 ET this day). Anyhow, talked to a soldier and civilian staff member at the front desk and found out that they are turning the museum into more of a Leadership museum. There was not a lot there and a lot was blocked off because of all the work they are doing. Outside, they only had a couple vehicles (a M4, a M47 (I think), a M113 prototype? and one artillery piece. Definitely will not be an armor park anymore.

If you want more info on the museum and their renovation and direction, they recommended checking out their website.

Hope this helps.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 09:49 AM UTC
If curious, here is the website...

Patton Museum Home
AFVFan
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:37 AM UTC
It's my understanding that the Patton museum is pretty much going to be just that. The main focus will be on Gen. Patton, showcasing the artifacts of his that are in the collection.

As has been discussed in another thread about the Aberdeen museum, the Benning museum is not a rumor. It is supposed to happen, but money will be a major concern. Sadly, in these times of tight budgets a museum complex is probably pretty low on the funding list. I hope they can make it happen sooner, than later.
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC
Might as well just close Fort Knox down. This is c--p !! Sorry, armor should have ALWAYS stayed at Knox. Im a diehard as thats where I did my training. Damn logistics & finances.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 12:47 PM UTC
I have a trip to Ft. Benning planned early next year. I will be taking extra batteries, memory cards and tons of photos.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 05:12 AM UTC
Next year's AMPS Nationals in Atlanta will likely be having some sort of Ft. Benning Tour.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 08:51 PM UTC
Now that would be a way to kill a day down there. I guess the big question would be how much of their collection would be able to be viewed. It's a shame Benning isn't closer to Atlanta. That 4 hr round trip would be a bummer.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess the big question would be how much of their collection would be able to be viewed. It's a shame Benning isn't closer to Atlanta. That 4 hr round trip would be a bummer.

Bob,

The actual round trip drive is a little over 3 hrs (hour and 40 one way) and the plan now is to have busses to take people down. The collection is at their restoration facility and everything should be available, at least that is the plan being worked with the Museum right now. There will be more info coming later. I've been down and there is a lot to see, but you have to get special permission to get in the facility.

More info about the facility can be found here:

http://www.armorfortheages.com/NACM/NACMmain/NACMmain.htm

Dave
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,742 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 02:35 PM UTC

I don't think the infantry types are going to have an armor museum better than their infantry museum at the home of infantry.