What airbrush should I purchase?
Tigerific
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,

After a long hiatus, 1990, I'm back into modeling!! Very happy to be back! I'm into WWII armor and have already completed 6 kits since my return last month.

I want to get into the airbrushing side of things and have NO idea what airbrush to purchase. I've browsed through this site and have looked on ebay and craigslist but there are SO many choices. Being a beginner, what should I steer toward? I saw a cheap one on ebay, $70 shipped that includes airbrush and compressor. I hear great things about Iwaata, Paasche, Badger.....that's why I'm so confused right now. Again, I'm a beginner airbrusher so any feedback is great!!

Thanks everyone,
Sean
NikToo
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 09:24 PM UTC
I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the "big names", like Iwata, Badger, Aztek, etc. Personally, I use an Iwata Eclipse, just because I found it at a good price on eBay. The one thing I would recommend against is a no-name knockoff, often advertised as being made "by the same company", when in fact the metal and tooling is inferior. My first airbrush was one of these copies, and it almost drove me crazy. It would stick, leak, and corroded something chronic. The inside was some copper alloy which is now so corroded the needle's stuck in a mass of green copper oxide.

You get what you pay for, and since your airbrush is likely to be the biggest and most important investment of your modelling I think it's worth making the one-off investement and getting a good brand name. As for which one, there's no "best" one, or there'd only be one manufacturer left. I would say though that if I was to get a new airbrush, I would seriously look at the Azteks. I quite like their shape and choice of tips, but that's just my own preference.

As for Compressor, some people get by with an automotive one. Again, I was lucky and found an Iwata locally on eBay. If you can get a tank it's better for the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) as it won't be running all the time.

Best of luck!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 09:28 PM UTC
By preference i chose a Iwata TR1, trigger rather than press action, can't see how i ever used anything else.

HTH

Andy
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
My suggestion has always been buy the best one you can afford, this way you'll save money in the long run as you won't have to "up-grade" as your skills improve.
Also (I forgot to mention it) the availability of spare parts so when you need them, it's not a long wait or expensive postage from overseas.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 04:03 PM UTC
I had 3 Azteks at one time. Azteks have the problem of plastic needle / nozzles with low tolerances. In my experience their performance is inconsistent and all over the spectrum.
If you were to send me out as your personal shopper, I would come back with an Iwata HP - C+. There is simply not a better built, better performing airbrush with the versatility of the HP - C+ and quality that will last the rest of your life. You are going to graduate to one someday, so you're better off learning on the best instead of being turned off to airbrushing with lesser equipment.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
Sean,

The others who have responded to your question are far more knowledgeable about modeling then me, but I was in your situation not more than a year ago. After looking around for a while, I narrowed my search down to the IWATA Revolution CR ... it just seemed like a great balance between price and quality. My wife had other ideas, though, and surprised me with a Paasche VLS for Christmas. Obviously, I can't compare it to the Revolution CR, but I've had no trouble with it (learning to use it, maintain it, etc.).

Bill
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 04:33 PM UTC
Hands down, Harder & Steenbeck.

While their Infinity is the top of the line, the Evolution will do about 80% of what the Infinity will do for much less. Both AB's are very, very good!
Tigerific
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 07:17 PM UTC
Wow!! Thank you everybody for your comments!! Will try to narrow my search to Iwata I guess. Hopefully I can find one with compressor for a good price.
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you were to send me out as your personal shopper, I would come back with an Iwata HP - C+. There is simply not a better built, better performing airbrush with the versatility of the HP - C+ and quality that will last the rest of your life. You are going to graduate to one someday, so you're better off learning on the best instead of being turned off to airbrushing with lesser equipment.

I have this same one and it's great. It can some real fine work while also being able to put out a decently wide stream for coverage work.
Tigerific
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
I have a chance to purchase a Paasche D-500 compressor for $50.00. If I purchase this, what Paasche airbrush should I get?

I was looking up the Iwaata HP-C, but it's out of my budget at this time.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
Just because you have a Paasche compressor that doesn't mean you have to buy a Paasche airbrush. You don't have to buy an "airbrush" compressor, either.
If you are on a budget, you can buy a Central Pneumatic Pancake compressor with a 3 gallon tank on sale for $39.99 at Harbor Freight Tools.
For your airbrush - look for a gravity feed airbrush with a .35mm needle/nozzle and buy the best one that you can afford.
This set up will give you the ability to cover an entire model in a base coat and also do fairly tight camo work.
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Tigerific: I've had my PaascheH for over 25 years works as good now as when it was new I also used a Sears compressor for about 5 years it was a piece of junk. So I got the Paasche compressor used it for 20 years, I wanted a tank compressor I got me a 3 gal. pancake it was made by Power Glide worked great. Aceses
 _GOTOTOP