TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Opinions please: Jar head movie
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
Het guys,
I was thinking about getting the movie "Jar head", I just need your opinions about the movie......thumbs up or thumbs down. I read the book and thought it was a very good read.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi There,I have never read the book but i do love the movie,elsewhere on the forum it`s been ridiculed for it`s inaccuracies but i found it OK.I suppose you could say that it`s been Hollywood`ised but thats got to be true of most war movies.
I have both the book and DVD of "Hunt For Red October",both of which i enjoy very much,so i say go for it and judge for yourself.
HTH
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 11:21 AM UTC
Having read the book, the movie is a pretty good adaptation. Having said that, I was there, so there are a few small innaccuracies. When I say 'there', I mean not to far from the area Swofford's STA platoon was in. A lot of the incidents in the book, aside from very personal items, did happen. Also alot more than he would or could put in that book. Overall, a solid effort.
Some Marines hated it, some Marines loved it. I liked it.
Rod
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 887 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
Jar head is for me a very slow going movie, in a strange way you're expecting things to get moving in an action sort of way that never happens, again for me after watching this film I thought - what was that all about ? -
Removed by original poster on 03/18/10 - 22:00:36 (GMT).
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
I agree totaly with Alec and asked myself what was it all about ? Seems like so many of the characters were a bunch of morons . I saw it at the movies and will not buy it even at the inexpensive used video place. Don't bother with Gunner Palace either. It is another no brainer.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:57 AM UTC
I was there for the first Gulf War, and the movie portrayed it as such: monotonous, boring , and just plain sucked. We did the football thing, the countless NBC drills, the Dear John wall, and all the stupid stuff you can think of when you're bored.
Not everyones encounter is gonna be action filled, and the first Gulf War ended before it even started. Sometimes people go in with too much expectations. Rent a Chuck Norris flick if you want that...
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Arnold,I have been in the military most of my adult life but never went to war. Some of my buddies who did said that it was boreing and complacent till the firefights would start and so begins the ten or twelve minutes of sheer terror. Some guys filled with fear through it and others hit by it after the shooting stops. Otherwise quite routine and boreing. However we don't go to the movies to see boreing even if it is what actually happened. Funny you should mention CBR drills. I've been in and out of MOPP 4 more than anyone can imagine.......AL
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
I'm sure the author of the book was okay with Hollywood taking some liberties, but going full bore and diluting the guys story only makes it unfufilling and untrue. It is after all his story, not ours.
If it were mine, it would be filled with all those moments in the desert sweating out in private to a banged up nudie magazine and endless rifle cleaning.
Yes, boring.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 08:03 AM UTC
I can understand that the story is like the author depicted, but nobody I know would want to go to a movie that hits like a bottle of Sominex. Z z z z z z z z z z
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
I take it you haven't seen Pride and Pejuduce or the Notebook?
Theres boring.