_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Pardon me,but I need to vent!!
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 02:03 PM UTC
Ok i think I'm giving up on PE!! I was looking forward to this basket on my Merkava project but bulding this rotten PE basket is driving me nuts!!! I was trying to super glue the bottom part of the basket down (from where the chain hangs) it would be a really nice fit take my old and very crusty brush (only 3 or 4 hairs left on it) put some glue down let everything sit for about 10 minutes, pick it up and look at my job well done and PINK off comes the part!!! I did this for a good hour and a half!! I'm going NUTS OK I feel a little better now (not really). I'll check in with you guys later Mail Call is on maybe R. Lee will blow something up!! :-) Scott
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
I can sympathise blackwolf.

I scratchbuilt the mesh inserts for the Chieftains basket using some stuff I found in a craftshop -think its used for dressmaking or something! Thought it would be a doddle to cut the base and side shapes, then edge it with thin strips of paper to represent the sheet steel edging, and then join together. It took me ten evenings because the CA glue did not seem to like either the paper or the mesh so I had to do a small bit at a time and let it cure overnight.

Fantastic sense of achievement when it finally came together though!

Remember, if its easy it aint worth doing.

Regards Dave :-)
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 05:23 PM UTC
Scott,

First off, sure, go out and blow something up!
It will make you feel #:-) #:-)

But, a little trick that is getting better for me is to solder the PE rather than super glue it. The solder has a higher tinsel strength for the little amount of contact. Hence, you will get instant adheision for the chains.

Also, let me ask you, did you scratch the surface before you did the super glue? If you glued the PE with a coating on, this may also effect (in a very negative way) the adhiesion.

Later,
Dave
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott,

First off, sure, go out and blow something up!
It will make you feel #:-) #:-)

But, a little trick that is getting better for me is to solder the PE rather than super glue it. The solder has a higher tinsel strength for the little amount of contact. Hence, you will get instant adheision for the chains.

Also, let me ask you, did you scratch the surface before you did the super glue? If you glued the PE with a coating on, this may also effect (in a very negative way) the adhiesion.

Later,
Dave

Hi Scott, I agree with Dave, but you ... yourself, already did the right thing : When your brain is ready to burst , and you want to hit something because " the PE tinkering " just ain't going the way it's suppose to, it's time to get up and walk away. Come back later with some fresh thought's and you'll be able to face the situation in a whole new light, and before you know it ........... BAADDA - BING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...... ALL FIXED !
Hey, if it doesn't work , then just yell at me

- ralph
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 09:37 PM UTC
Don't give up Blackwolf, when working with PE i prefer the "soldering" than the CA glue approacu (as Dave already ponted out). To get better results with CA it's necessary that the PE parts are cleaned using some "degreaser" otherwose adhesion can be compromised. Another hit is to use a pin dipped in the CA to put it right into the joins to give more strenght to the assembly...
Ciao
klink
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 09:49 PM UTC
my personal thoughts on PE stuff is screw it!

its not worth the hassle most of the time, either the parts are to small or they fly off to god knows where etc.

Yes you can try the woderful suggestion from teh above posts but when all else fails bin the stuff and cary on #:-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I scratchbuilt the mesh inserts for the Chieftains basket using some stuff I found in a craftshop -think its used for dressmaking or something! Thought it would be a doddle to cut the base and side shapes, then edge it with thin strips of paper to represent the sheet steel edging, and then join together. It took me ten evenings because the CA glue did not seem to like either the paper or the mesh so I had to do a small bit at a time and let it cure overnight.
Regards Dave :-)

That's Bridal Veil. Better than that for mesh screen is fibreglass window screen material. You can get it at any good hardware store by the yard. There's enough in a yard to last years. It reacts perfectly with CA glue and plastic.
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Better than that for mesh screen is fibreglass window screen material. You can get it at any good hardware store by the yard. There's enough in a yard to last years. It reacts perfectly with CA glue and plastic.

Al, that may be the case in the US of A but the standad f/glass mesh here (fly screen) has a large hole size. I needed something fine enough to represent an expanded metal mesh.

Which reminds me we once had a coloured plastic fly screen which worked a treat. Never had any coloured plastic flies in the house.

Rehards Dave
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al, that may be the case in the US of A but the standad f/glass mesh here (fly screen) has a large hole size.

Dave, not all does. Some of the mesh screening has smaller openings. OTM brass has several. Also the shop: Small Parts has some within their cataloge. It worth a bit if you have that bad AMS (I speak from expeience with no cure - yet).

Code:
my personal thoughts on PE stuff is screw it! 

Aaaahhhh, comon Pvt Klink, jsut because your a Scotsman (having fun here), does not mean you can lift that Kilt and do as you please.......

Dave
(One Irishman speaking of something in comon......)
 _GOTOTOP