_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Quiet Compressor
miteco20
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
I have a guy here at work that is looking for the quietest compressor out there and money is not an issue. I knew that this had to be the best place to ask. Any one with some ideas. Thanks in advance!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 05:59 PM UTC
The Iwata Power Jet compressor will set him back $460 but it's quieter than a fish tank. Really - my cell phone vibrates louder!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 03:01 AM UTC
I've got an old "Dental compressor" I rescued from getting Junked.... (the tank was shot) you'd almost never know it was running. if he want's a totally silent option suggest CO2

I get my bottle filled for about 15 bucks and it lasts me quite a few models.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a guy here at work that is looking for the quietest compressor out there and money is not an issue. I knew that this had to be the best place to ask. Any one with some ideas. Thanks in advance!

For ultimate in quiet...go with a CO2 setup. Zero noise! No line moisture issues either.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 03:42 AM UTC
Coming in late to the party, but run, don't walk to the welding supply store (some folks have the luck of an airbrush store, I don't. Some have homebrew suppliers too, not up here) and get the scuba sized c02 tank and a dual guage regulator.
Best $200 I ever spent, tanks last forever (1-2years or steady tank painting) and refills are cheap, $20-25.

silent
dry
exact pressure

it's a no-brainer, really.

Mike
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
I just picked up an Iwata Sprint Jet from someone getting out of the hobby and it's about as loud as the refrigerator. It serves the purpose I wanted it for well, to get out of the hot damned garage and paint inside where it's nice and cool. lol
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you guys do know all iwata except the shark are oil-less? Apart from being noisy, they start to die the moment you turned them on, plus iwata uses some of the cheapest regulators on the market....

Do yourself a favor and get a oiled lubricated articulated-piston compressor. If you can notice when it's pumping air into the tank, it's on the loud side.

I picked up this Silentaire dr-500 when Ebay first started (97?) for 300 bucks, and I've turned it off two or three times, once when I moved. Mainly because it's so quiet I kept forgetting it was on. The regulator let out no air when it's shut off, so I just gave up turning it off at one point, it would never turn on unless I'm actually using it anyway.

I second this. If money is not an issue take a look at the Silentaire lineup & take your pick. I got the 20A very recently & it's amazing.
FJCabeza
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 05:01 AM UTC
Do it yourself (Himself):
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/128644&page=1

Total 60€ and a few free time...
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 204 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hello guys:

Brian, believe it or not home made compressors won't explode in your face. I have made 2 so far using similar instructions to the ones posted by FJcabeza:

I did not used any type of welding at all, only couple of high pressure pipes and the tank of a BROKEN old piston compressor...=) Total investment about 30$ and about 2 hours for putting it up together.......
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 02:50 PM UTC
Thread revival!

So I have a wife that equates scuba tanks full of C02 with nitro-glycerin actuated hydrogen bombs...

Assuming those parameters would a Silentaire I-W be a good buy?

What's a good (quiet) compressor for on or about 200 bucks? My only concern is that it's oiless and I'm not sure how much I like that idea.
Diamond
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 08:57 AM UTC
ROL-AIR.

Check it out. Less than 60 dB. 2.5 gallon tank. Twin Psiton driven engine.

Quality, quality and quality.

I was going to buy an Iwata Pro Jet unit and saved a bundle and have a better compressor.

http://www.amazon.com/Rolair-JC10-Super-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0058NRVMO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1342645029&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=rol+air+compressor

_GOTOTOP