_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Help with a dilemma
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
I'm kind of freaked out at the moment and need some advice. Some time ago a guy contacted me through this website and asked me to build him a diorama. I decided to do it and it was my first commission. After around six months it was finished and I had to send it to the states. I was somewhat worried that it might get damaged, but it was in a solid box and I cushioned it well. It arrived damaged - a soldier had come loose, the tank commander had come off and a wheel and part of the track came off the tank. I think he was quite upset and didn't even take the diorama out of the box. I emailed saying that he should send me some photos and I could give him some guidance about fixing it. The damage with a little effort could be fixed, it wasn't like that the tank had been crushed or there was permanent damage. After that I didn't hear from him, so I assumed that it had been fixed. Today a package arrived and he had sent it back. I was shocked because he didn't say anything about sending it back. So far, I haven't received any email and I had deleted his email so I don't know his. I assume he will ask for a refund, but I put a lot of time and effort into it and didn't charge a high price.

What should I do in this situation?
Removed by original poster on 03/03/10 - 04:32:24 (GMT).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 12:06 AM UTC
Unfortunately, if he sent it back and doesn't want it, you have no real choice but to refund him the money. I would wait and see what he asks you for. I'm sure he still has your email. He may just want you to fix it as he probably isn't a modeler and doesn't feel confident enough to do it himself.

On another note, how did you pack it? I have shipped models around the world and had no issues with them. The key is to pack it so they can't move within the box. I use the styrofoam packing peanuts. I start with a box a little bigger than the model so it isn't touching the sides. I lay a layer of the peanuts in the bottom and place the model in. Next, I fill the remainder of the box with the peanuts. I slightly overfill it so the peanuts are tight when I close it and there is no movement. The model is cradled in the peanuts and all is well. Like I said, I have had no issues this way.
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, if he sent it back and doesn't want it, you have no real choice but to refund him the money. I would wait and see what he asks you for. I'm sure he still has your email. He may just want you to fix it as he probably isn't a modeler and doesn't feel confident enough to do it himself.

A couple of other modellers that contacted me disagree. It was well packed similar to what you have stated, but without the peanuts filled in due to the number of soldiers in the diorama (8), but there were air bags to keep everything in place. I dropped the box from a height of three feet and turned it on its side and upside down, it was okay. I think it received a nasty bump in transit. I can fix it up for him if he likes, but it would have been better and cheaper for it to be done where he lives. As I have stated, the damage wasn't terminal and with a little patience could of been fixed within a couple of hours. Added to that, when you look at sellers on Ebay, they state they take no resposibility for damage incurred during shipping, but they take as much precaution to pack it. I spent a lot of time on that diorama and to say, "sorry, here's your money back" is a bit of a stretch.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
I would just fix it and wait until he contacts you and say Take it Or Leave it. But thats me. I'd ask why he felt he had to ship it back instead of talking to you. BTW what was the condition of the model when you got it back?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A couple of other modellers that contacted me disagree...I spent a lot of time on that diorama and to say, "sorry, here's your money back" is a bit of a stretch.

That depends on what you can live with. To me, if I still have the dio, I can't justify still taking his money, but thats just me. To each their own. I would definitely talk to him and see what the problem is and/or what he wants to do. Good luck.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC
i would say let the customer pay for the materials and kits used, or the man hours, at any case after al the trouble and the " take no resposibility for damage incurred during shipping," i would only refunh half, or less htan half, a commission is a commision, if he disagrees, repair it and send it back explaining the hard work you put in, and effort, so said customer would recieve a product.
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW what was the condition of the model when you got it back?

It received more damage when it returned. He didn't take it out of the box, so there were loose pieces flying about. I'll fix it up and if he wants it, I'll charge him for the repair. I can get it back to original condition that's not a problem. If only he had contacted me first, I would have worked out a solution, it's like going around in a circle. The whole thing's giving me a headache.
MUNROS
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 07:39 PM UTC
Hello. Unfortunately for my wallet, i do a LOT of mail order business. I'm always on the receiving end. If one receives an item that is damaged, their recourse is to contact the shipping company. They then begin the process of ATTEMPTING to get their money back, based on the insured value. Was the parcel insured? Answer to your current situation, is straightforward. A contract was entered into. You were to build a diorama. The consideration was payment for this task. Provided there was no duress used to engage this arrangement, it qualifies as a contract. The buyer should have kept the item, to help his claim against the shipper. The ball is in your clients court. If they contact you, you are willing to ship the DIO in the condition received by you, client to pay shipping AND insurance. Any subsequent claim made buy your client with the insurer, doesn't concern you.
 _GOTOTOP