_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Advice in bulding my basket (legend kit 1055)
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi guys.
I just purchased Legends Merkava storage basket for my next project. The instructions are somewhat vage in how to build this "mini" kit. My question's are as follows: 1) How do you attach the little balls to the end of chain? 2) The lead foil that they supply i'm guessing that its for the cross members for the basket; what width should I cut them? I thought there was a review on this but I'm at work right now. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Scott
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys.
I just purchased Legends Merkava storage basket for my next project. The instructions are somewhat vage in how to build this "mini" kit. My question's are as follows: 1) How do you attach the little balls to the end of chain? 2) The lead foil that they supply i'm guessing that its for the cross members for the basket; what width should I cut them? I thought there was a review on this but I'm at work right now. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Scott

As for the crossmembers, why not just lay the lead over the kit part, and burnish it to get an impression of the width of the support. Then cut it out.

When I did my ball and chain, I used .5mm craft beads
I used a strand of very fine strand of wire from a lamp cord, passed it through the last link of chain, doubled it up and passed both strands through the bead.
Then I slid the bead up to the end of the chain, added a drop of superglue and cut the wire off at the bottom of the bead.
A drop of s-g into the bead bottom sealed that up and it looks like the balls are wired to the chain.
A VERY time consuming assembly to do all of them, but it looks great in the end.

I just glued the chain under the lip of the basket, but if I had it to do over again, I might run a wire along the bottom inderside of the basket and thread the chains onto that.

shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
Not having the full kit from legends I would venture to say the lead foil is for the tank ID panels that get tied to the basket. as to the balls and chanins I did them this way I cut apart the indiviual balls . placed them hole up in some clay . I then cut small pieces of wire and glued them into the opennings on the balls with CA glue. I then drilled corresponding hole fore tha smae dimension of wire in the underside of the basket. Once both sets are dry , cut your chain to legnth specified . stick the wire from the balls through one end and wrap around bottom of lowest link and cut off excess. do the sae on the wires glued to the wires drilled and glued in the basket. As I'm not building one vcurrently I sorry I can't help you more. There is however a group build with the Merkava asit subject going on At the IDF armour group. I know at least two people are using either parts or all of the legend set. Drop on in the main Group site is

IDF Armour Group

you'l find links to what you need there
Josh WEingarten Aka shiryon
Janitor IDF armour group
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 11:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips! But I'm just wondering if i'm missing a fret of pe. I think Shiryon is right about the lead foil being for the ID panels (cool site by the way I think I got bitten by the IDF bug!). Maybe during the week I'll stop at the hobby shop and pick up some plastic sheet for the crossmembers. Scott
 _GOTOTOP