Shows and events in North America.
MosquitoCon 2010 - our 19th Year!
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 574 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 03:53 AM UTC
In just over five weeks, MosquitoCon will here. This is the 19th year we'll be putting on this show*, so this years show is being dubbed "MosquitoCon 19" (we are a creative bunch, aren't we?). As with previous shows, we have rented both sides of the Wayne Police Athletic League (PAL) Hall just off of Route 23, about a mile or so north of Route 80 (take the 1st exit).

Why come to MosquitoCon? Well, here's just a few reasons:

- It's the largest annual model hobby event in Jersey!

- Attendees state that it's the most enjoyable model show they have ever attended!

- NJIPMS's show staff are seasoned professionals, with 19 years of show experience under their belts!

- MosquitoCon boasts more vendors/better vendors than most IPMS USA Regional shows! This year we will once again have additional table inside the model room!

- Number of models competing meets or exceeds the amount that show up at most IPMS USA Regionals!

- Lighting in the model room is superb!

- Modelers attend our show from near and far. In the past we've had attendees from Europe, South America and Asia!

- NJIPMS has many ship modelers in its membership and the ship categories are filled with great models!

This year the show theme will be 1940 - England Stands Alone. Head on over to the NJ/IPMS website for full details, which include a show flyer and model entry and registration forms, the latter of which we encourage show attendees to fill out ahead of time. The show flyer has directions, list of categories, list of special awards, rules and other pertinent info.

Hope to see many of you there!!

* For those counting at home, this will be our 20th show, but our 19th year. We did two shows in 1993 due to the Blizzard of '93 wiping out our show in March.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 05:43 AM UTC
April 3, 2010
is the date!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
Don't comtemplate, just go and enjoy. Been to thier show when I lived back east a few times and it IS an enjoyable event. Would go but the 12 hour trip is a bit too much for me now. Oh, and bring your wallet or what's in it. Great amount of venders and lots of can't do without stuff to buy.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
I plan to drop by and say hello
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 08:09 PM UTC
I'll be there with an IPMS NMMA crew of 12! We never miss this show!
Lunch at the Grasshopper! Georg is buying!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
If Georg is buying, I'll be there!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 08:06 AM UTC
Yeah Dave, and just wait until Georg finds out!
redleg12
Visit this Community
entire network: 872 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 11:42 PM UTC
Holy excrement.....Georg is buying.....count me in

Plan on being there also......ok Matt now it's 13 for lunch

Rounds Complete!!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 04:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy excrement.....Georg is buying.....count me in

Plan on being there also......ok Matt now it's 13 for lunch

Rounds Complete!!

Great Mike! I was hoping you'd be there. Now if we can just get somebody to play the Star Wars "Imperial March" as we walk in.....
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
entire network: 10,553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 880 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Looking forward to meeting as many Armorama nuts as possible. Will be there from 7 helping set up, and may get dragged into judging.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 09:55 AM UTC
Myself and Phil Bracco intend to make a grand entrance with matching canes.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Myself and Phil Bracco intend to make a grand entrance with matching canes.

If I don't finish the PE slat "mesh" on my Sd.Kfz.7/1 soon, I'm going to need a cane because I won't be able to stand up straight!
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking forward to meeting as many Armorama nuts as possible. Will be there from 7 helping set up, and may get dragged into judging.

As head judge, I'm going to find you and hold you to that!

Saturday is the big day. Just for the record - THERE ARE NO FLOODING OR WATER ISSUES AT THE WAYNE PAL. We are good to go - hope to see many of you there!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 01:28 PM UTC
A good time was had by all--- including me!
Photos of show to follow.

What I bought:
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
Some nice finds, including T-34/85 and Sd.Kfz.223 (which will need 4x the price of the kit for all the upgrades, LOL!).

Matt Toms had a superb Hotchkiss there.

Am leaning towards a Grex Tritium TG3: smooth as silk, incredidible close-up detail and microfine spray.

Surprising the number of kits priced at or near retail. For the most part, they were boxed up at the end and went home with the seller (non-seller in this case). Seems crazy to pay for a vendor's spot and then price yourself out of contention, but what do I know? Offered once vendor $5 off a 25 kit, but he'd paid $50 for it, so wouldn't and ended up schlepping it out of there.

Learned a lot about IPMS judging rules.

Met some good people there and connected with a few friends, but between bargain hunting and judging, didn't get a chance to circulate.

Some great-looking builds with real inventiveness and imagination at work. Surprisingly few ships this year; no one seemed to know why.

Best deal of the show? Tristar Pz.38(t) Ausf. B kit with full interior for $15. Online it's $60 plus shipping.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 08:46 AM UTC
I've posted my photos of the show at my smugmug account since I don't have the time to post them 10 at a time here.
Just watch out as the "original" sizes are very large, I don't have to resize them there, so I just click and upload them.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 10:58 AM UTC
Where did you find the Goat....What a great find.....With all the time I spent in the vandor room I missed that one....I'm jelous......

Are they even still in buisness???

Nice seeing you yesterday....as alway a pleasure!!

Rounds Complete!!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC
It's a brand new-- soon to be released kit.
The guy (Ted-can't think of his name now--- brain fart and brain dead at same time!) had a few at his ship table. Show special was a decent price--- suppose to be $79.95 or there abouts when it's released. I still have to wait for the instruction sheet to arrive either by email or snail mail as he didn't have any instruction sheets yet.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a brand new-- soon to be released kit.
The guy (Ted-can't think of his name now--- brain fart and brain dead at same time!) had a few at his ship table. Show special was a decent price--- suppose to be $79.95 or there abouts when it's released. I still have to wait for the instruction sheet to arrive either by email or snail mail as he didn't have any instruction sheets yet.

The Ted you speak of is Ted Paris of Commanders Models/Iron Shipwright, recently returned from retirement. Those little Gamma Goats seemed to be very popular. Ted also had a hull of a forthcoming release (USS Utah, circa 12/7/41) on the table.

I spent some time perusing the models on Ted's table while chatting with him. Their 1/350 Agincourt is VERY impressive. I have been critical of some of Commanders/Iron Shipwrights quality of the past, but based on what Ted had at the show, I have to say their quality looks like it's improved markedly.

I'm as baffled as the next guy as to why there were so few ships on the table - we had been doing pretty good in that department that last four/five years. The only think I can think of is that some notable ship modelers that usually come to the show were absent yesterday.

Thanks for everyone who came out to the show - especially those who helped us judge. We could not have pulled it off without your help.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 12:42 AM UTC
Dave - thanks....somehow I missed that one but with your picture made the recovery.....ordered one off his web site....the final price you pay on the web site is even cheaper than what it shows.

Thought I would never see a goat model....it is one of those had to have....too many M561s in my past.

Thank you again for the info.....now the two old goats have a Goat!!

Rounds Complete!!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
A great show as always! Bill thanks for the compliment on my Hotchkiss.
I bought a Gamma Goat too! I always check the Commanders table for armor, he had some one of a kind conversions I would like to have. I talked to Ted and he said he's getting back into armor in a big way. The Goat is just the first of a new armor line. The quality of the kit is impressive.
I too have many fond memories (and ringing ears) of the Gamma Goat. It was more fun to off road it "recreationally" than it was a useful tactical vehicle. We used them as dune buggies. Oh, and for fishing. They float.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC
Matt - Looks like the old goats are all getting satisfied.....I don't know how I missed it at the show....but I'll just wait for the mail. It will be great to see Ted come up with more "off the beaten path" vehicles. I think he will have a hit with the goat.

The goat had a great ride....but noisy and lets not even talk PMCS under the hood.....or engine cover.....or what ever!!.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:29 AM UTC
To warm the cockles of you wittle hearts:
Gamma Goat.com
 _GOTOTOP