History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Favorite History Book
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 01:03 PM UTC
We have gone 'round the block lately in this forum with a bunch of "what if" questions. I was wondering what everyones favorite history book or author was. I'll start by saying that Keegan rules, as far as pure military history goes. And, Hastings is up there. Any thoughts? I am looking for something to read.

Thanks,

Shaun
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
Shaun--may I recommend "This Kind of War" by TR Fehrenbach. You find a better military history book than this one, please let me know.
DJ
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 07:43 PM UTC
Roger Freeman. One of, if not the best, WWII airplane historians there is. Most of his work is centered around P-47's and the units that operated them but he has ventured into other airplane areas.

Any book by Freeman is very good. But I think that The Mighty Eighth: A Color Record is truly the best. All the book is is pictures of the units and air bases of the entire 8th Air Force while in Europe during WWII. Highly recommended for any WWII air combat fan.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 09:37 PM UTC
"SS Hell on the Western Front"- Chris Bishop was pretty good.

So far "SS Hell on the Eastern Front" is good.

~Chip :-)
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 10:00 PM UTC
The author I read most of regarding history is Max Hastings. I've read his D-Day and the battle for Normandy, and The Falklands War so many times I almost know them by heart.
Martin
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
These certainly aren't the BEST history books ever written but does anybody remember the old Ballentine (sp?) Illustrated History series? These had different colored spines depending on subject, weapons, leaders, battles, etc. I grew up reading these books; they were my first real introduction into the history of WWII. 40 odd years later I still remember things I read first in those books.

Wish I had hung on to them just for nostalgia
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
My Choice it the "Two Ocean War" by Samuel E. Morrison. For one book it covers alot and has a wealth of information.
Just My Opinion
Jeff Larkin
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

These certainly aren't the BEST history books ever written but does anybody remember the old Ballentine (sp?) Illustrated History series? These had different colored spines depending on subject, weapons, leaders, battles, etc. I grew up reading these books; they were my first real introduction into the history of WWII. 40 odd years later I still remember things I read first in those books.

Wish I had hung on to them just for nostalgia

Nostalgia! I still have mine!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:39 PM UTC
Me too I loved those books. I think I have somewhere around 60 of them in my collection. Back on topic I think Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory" and "Day of Infamy" are still the standards for Midway and Pearl Harbor no matter what Gordon Prange fans think. (those are also top drawer)
Noodles
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 75 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
You can still pick up the old ballantine books for cheap.I got some last year..ANd i'm only a young un.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
I remember as a kid living in Canada in the early seventies there were a series of comic books, each one telling a true war story. I remember reading about the capture of the Remargen Bridge, and another about the Bataan Death March. I don't know how accurate they were but they really got me hooked on WW2 history.
Martin
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 08:51 AM UTC
I liked the books by steven ambrose as he interviewed the people on the ground not some
bigwig and by doing this made the book easy to read without getting too complicated as
some boos seem to for get the average joe bloggs on the ground I've read citizen soldiers
twice now and can easliy picture the images of the descriptions the interviews were portraying across other than that last laurels by georg gunter is good also another easy to follow book with some interesting pictures too
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember as a kid living in Canada in the early seventies there were a series of comic books, each one telling a true war story. I remember reading about the capture of the Remargen Bridge, and another about the Bataan Death March. I don't know how accurate they were but they really got me hooked on WW2 history.
Martin

I think you mean the Sgt. Rock comic books correct?
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC
lets not forget the victor comic here in the uk they always had a true story of valour ect
on the 1st page
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
hey Mike you must remember Capt Hurricane and Maggot Malone, Ambrose for me easy to read and its usually the poor dudes who done the fighting,Fiction i go for Bernard Cornwall who wrote Sharpe and the King Arthur series
Noodles
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 75 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
if talking about comics,anybody read the Commando series when they were younger?io still have them at home.The splot is always the same,but they're abit of fun.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:54 AM UTC
Only bye the hundred, the drawings were fantastic, but why did the germans always say donner und blitzen or their officer always called their men Dolts always have a laugh If i find one in a shop.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:34 AM UTC
I just started "Blood Red Snow" by Gunter K Kosschorrek. Memoir by a German soldier in an armor division. Great read so far...

Shaun
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
I am in the midst of reading "Terrible Terry Allen." A very quick reading book. Full of fascinating observations. If you want to get some insights into the fascinating career of the commanding general of the 1st Infantry Division from North Africa through Sicily, this book is a well worth the time to read. If you are a Vietnam Vet you might want to pick up "Where We Were." Loaded with details on Fire Bases and facilities. Read On!
DJ
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:30 PM UTC
I am not sure if it would qualify as a history book but S.L.A. Marshall's book "The Soldiers Load and The Mobility of a Nation" seems to me to be relavent now as when it was printed in 1950. It brings up questions I think that have been around since there were soldiers.
brian
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:43 PM UTC
I really prefer personal accounts over "big picture" histories. My two favorites are probably Tank Sergeant by Ralph Zumbro and Thunder Below! by Admiral Gene Fluckey. The former is an account of Vietnam tank warfare and the latter is the story of the submarine U.S.S. Barb written by her MoH-winning skipper.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 01:00 PM UTC
Not a history book per-se...but I like "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monseratt. It's the story of a Flower Class corvette named "Compass Rose" during WW2.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not a history book per-se...but I like "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monseratt. It's the story of a Flower Class corvette named "Compass Rose" during WW2.

Very good book. I also have a good number of the Ballantine books. All excellent reads.
One of my favorites, that I cannot count how many times I've read, is Fly for Your Life. About Bob Tuck's life and experiences during the Battle of Britain.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553203916/qid=1063208611/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2478439-4737516?v=glance&s=books#product-details
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
My good Friends-- may I strongly recommend that you read the superb histroy of the Korean War entitled "This Kind Of War" by TR Fehrenbach. It is a compelling work that I revisit often. The author's analysis of the root causes of the Korean Conflict and the lack of preparadness on the part of the US Army to conduct the tactical and operational actions is awesome. I am also always impressed by his discussion of the retreat (I'd call it a rout) of the 2nd Infantry Division along the eastern side of the peninsula following the Chinese intervention in November of 1950. Worthy of reflection are his observations on the period of negotiation with the Chinese and our reaction to their stubborness. Marvelous book. If you read it, I'd appreciate hearing your analysis.
thanks
DJ
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC
Welcome back, DJ!!

Shaun