_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Hasegawa Punch Set
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
Has anyone tried this tool yet ?

How does it compare with other makes out on the market ?

Can you get other tips for it as well , or are you just limited to three which come with it ?

Thanks
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hi Terri,
I hadn't heard of this set. Where did you see it?
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi Matt , I saw it at the local hobby shop when I went in for supplies .
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
Terri,

I found this on the Hobby Search Site.

Is this the one you are asking about?

I haven't used or actually seen it, but I believe you could make one for each diameter size from Steel tube epoxied into a handle, with the tip filed on the inside or outside for what you are trying to punch. Thin styrene sheets shouldn't be too difficult, but punching thicker than 0.030 or 0.040 inches would be harder on the tube, requiring sharpening sooner or even replacement of the entire "punch" due to tube buckling.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
Terri,
For 1/3 the cost of a Waldron Punch set it only does 1 larger and one smaller than the largest punch in that set, I'm not sold that it's a great deal. Since I work mostly in 1/72 I'm very greatful that some dyslexic order picker sent me the 053 Sub-minature set instead of the 035 set I ordered.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,

I found this on the Hobby Search Site.

Is this the one you are asking about?

I haven't used or actually seen it, but I believe you could make one for each diameter size from Steel tube epoxied into a handle, with the tip filed on the inside or outside for what you are trying to punch. Thin styrene sheets shouldn't be too difficult, but punching thicker than 0.030 or 0.040 inches would be harder on the tube, requiring sharpening sooner or even replacement of the entire "punch" due to tube buckling.

Yup ! that's the one . They are asking 40 bucks for it which I find to be very over priced for what you get for .
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
For 1/3 the cost of a Waldron Punch set it only does 1 larger and one smaller than the largest punch in that set, I'm not sold that it's a great deal. Since I work mostly in 1/72 I'm very greatful that some dyslexic order picker sent me the 053 Sub-minature set instead of the 035 set I ordered.

Thanks for the info Mark
SSGToms
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
Terri,
There are two Hasegawa punches, Dragon USA has them for $29.95 each - Hasegawa punches . 3 hole sizes for $30, not a good value at all.
There are some good values on small punches from Model Expo Punch sets and Micro Mark Punch sets .
I bought the "Revolving turret hole punch" from Micro Mark and it's very handy. It punches 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, and 4.5mm discs cleanly and it's only $19.95 - for 6 different size holes.
Among the listings you'll find different sizes for many applications. Micro Mark also has the micro punch set that ranges from 1 to 5mm in .5mm increments for $39.95, That's a great value!
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC
Thanks Matt . I guess what I like about this one is less chances of the punches getting bent and if the cutting edge gets dull you can sharpen them up .
tlivancso
Visit this Community
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hello Terri,

You could try something like this I have bought two sets like this in different sizes from I believe Michael's Crafts and they work really well.

http://www.jandjhardware.com/1445.htm

http://cvfsupply.com/hole_punches/10pcmm_hole_punch.html

Cheers,
Thom
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
I have a set of what looks to be the same as the ones that Matt linked to on Model Expo. Mine range from 1/8" to 3/8" in 1/16" increments - it's a set of six. They look to be pretty well made, with a solid build and a fairly sharp edge, but I haven't used them yet. I picked them up at an Army surplus store in London (Ontario) that has a whole lot of stuff for dirt cheap - the punches were $3.95 for the set.
 _GOTOTOP