_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Tank Tow cables
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
Guys,

I found a cheap means of replicating tank tow cables -- use picture hanging wires. They are almost the same thickness with those included in the model. They cost only Php 29.00 and 2 to 3 meters long.

shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC
Picture hanging wires? Yung "alambre"? Kapag alambre eh maraming sizes eh. Anyways, thanks for the info!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC
Picture hanging wires? Yung "alambre"? Kapag alambre eh maraming sizes eh. Anyways, thanks for the info!
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
SR: Not your typical alambre...it is composed of 4 very small gauged wires twisted together...it looks like a small replica of the actual tow cable. The set I bought is made by D-I-Y Hardware with model number M56031. The box contains nails, screws and some hanging parts for picture frames aside from the wire itself.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
BTW, it comes in a plastic box with blue paper cardboard backing. I got mine in Ace months ago. Very fine material.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
GI: Is it the same brand coz the one I saw in ACE costs Php 61.00, I bought mine in Landmark w/c cost only Php 29.75...baka kasi mas-cheap sa Landmark for the same material....
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 08:27 PM UTC
Not sure, can't recall. But from your description of the product, it matches mine. I forgot about the price which I paid for the things.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 12:31 PM UTC
Guys,

I completed my prototype tow cable using picture hanging wire, aluminum foil tape and cotton buds/q-tips (those with hollow body stick handles).

For those who are interested in scratchbuilding tow cables, the steps are as follows:

Steps:
1) cut an appropriate length of picture hanging wire(PHW)
2) cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch (depends on your preference) from the cotton bud handle -- two pieces one for each end.
3) insert both cotton bud handle into the PHW
4) loop both ends of the wire to form an oval or circle - make sure that there is an excess of approximately 1/2 of the cotton bud handle.
5) insert the excess from the loop into the cotton bud handle
6) heat the ends of the cotton bud handle so that it will close towards the wire.
7) get a considerable length of aluminum foil tape and then tape it around the cotton bud handle (burnish it)
8) sand the aluminum tape to remove the shine (use 400 to 600 grit).

The tow cable is now complete. it can be painted or weathered line those out of the box plastic tow cables.

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,

I completed my prototype tow cable using picture hanging wire, aluminum foil tape and cotton buds/q-tips (those with hollow body stick handles).

For those who are interested in scratchbuilding tow cables, the steps are as follows:

Steps:
1) cut an appropriate length of picture hanging wire(PHW)
2) cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch (depends on your preference) from the cotton bud handle -- two pieces one for each end.
3) insert both cotton bud handle into the PHW
4) loop both ends of the wire to form an oval or circle - make sure that there is an excess of approximately 1/2 of the cotton bud handle.
5) insert the excess from the loop into the cotton bud handle
6) heat the ends of the cotton bud handle so that it will close towards the wire.
7) get a considerable length of aluminum foil tape and then tape it around the cotton bud handle (burnish it)
8) sand the aluminum tape to remove the shine (use 400 to 600 grit).

The tow cable is now complete. it can be painted or weathered line those out of the box plastic tow cables.

Ayos! Thanks for the tip!
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
I will try to post a picture as soon as possible -- gawin ko pag-uwi kung di ako kukulitin ng mga anak ko at misis ko...he..he..he
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:30 PM UTC
Another alternative is thread made from plastic. It's just like the typical cross-stitcher's thread/string (intertwined) but harder and can be twisted & bent to follow the contours of a tank's hull. Comes in different gauges and colours. Bought the red one and after painting it with humbrol's rust color (113), with some of the base colour peeping through, I simulated a worn & rusted look. It can be purchased cheap (under P10.00 per meter) at your nearby hardware store. It looked swell on a couple of my armour models. :-)
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:44 PM UTC
Fairfax: Nice tip, I'll also try that...what do they call those threads, are they the same as those nylon cords typically colored yellow?
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 06:30 PM UTC
Seems to be the same thing. Used to see the same kind for hanging clothes to dry and all. But this is more of plastic than nylon and a bit thinner.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC
Got my length of cable from Ace Hardware. There are two brands: one is worth Php 70.00 and the other is worth Php 30.00. The cable looks nice though I haven't tried attaching it yet. It's easy to shape and bend and the ends do not fray easily.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
Jeepney: Be careful when looping or bending, the twist sometimes loosens. Let us know how it goes....
 _GOTOTOP