_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Opinions please: how much is to much time
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 10:53 AM UTC
My question to you is this, how much is to much time when building your 1/700th scale ships? reason I am asking is, I was and still am an 1/72nd scale armor guy as well as a 54mm figure guy. Yes I came over to the dark side for a little while.
I am building a 1/700th scale Bismarck and like most of my models that I build, if it becomes a superdetailed project I am looking at it to be at least 1+ years to finish; working on and off. Now as for my Bismarck; I have been working on it 3 days a week 1-2 hours a day. I know time wise it is not much but for this being my first 1/700th scale ship I just want to build it correctly the first time and not have to start over.
I have almost 1 year of working time into this project, is this normal?
now 1 year is alot of time for a model of this size I would think, but I just completed the hull decking and all the 4 main guns, starting the secondary guns tonight.
So of course being a beginner of the 1/700th scale ships, I would like any and all of your advice.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
"..to much time", what?
Oh, you meant "too much time".

The only real answer is it's taken too much time when you no longer enjoy the project.
Any time up to that and you have no problems.

Mark
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:10 PM UTC
If you spend so much time on a project that you lose interest and shelve it, you've crossed the invisible line. Otherwise, just try not to die before you're done.

And for the record, you build freakishly fast. My last completed project took 2.25 years to complete.

-Doug
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:27 PM UTC
...finish?

We're supposed to finish these things?!?

Hmmm - that's where I've been going wrong...

No time is too much time until you decide it's been too long.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 02:39 PM UTC
Whatever floats your boat. (Sorry for the terrible pun, I couldn't resist.) Personally I can't keep interest in one project for 1 plus years, let alone 2.25 years. Personally one to two months is plenty. Then again I don't "super detail." Don't go by me though, do what seems right to you.

_GOTOTOP