_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
makeing tarps
tazz3
Visit this Community
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 07:17 AM UTC
i want to know when i make a tarp and rolls for tanks, should i water down elmers glue then brush on tissue paper and then fold, if this is wriet plz wriet back thanks
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
When I make mine, I lay the tissue out flat then brush on the elmers glue/water mixture and then roll up the tarp/bedroll or whatever it is. After it's rolled up I tie the ends with thread to hold the shape. After it's dried I brush paint them and then do a wash on them.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 01:47 AM UTC

I tried several ways. My favorite is this : mix water and white glue (for wood).
Place mixture on a flat plate and place a tissue in the mixture. Let soak for a second or two and then apply to the shape you need.
Wait 24 hrs.
Done. Paint when fully dry.
When you paint, make sure you don't spray excessive amounts at the same time, since that will make your tarp soggy again.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
Could you do the same thing to create gun mantlet covers for tank turrets? I really wish some manufacturers would skip the 'moveable' gun barrel and just mold a nice cover on the tank.

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
I tend to use GeneralFailure's method and secodn his comments on painting. I generally aribrush everything, and it will take two or three coats to cover without soaking everything and making the tarp soggy and saggy. Pay particular attention to this if the tarp is supposed to be draped over a frame, like on an open-topped vehicle. Tarps are heavy fabric, and will droop, but if your tissue tarp gets too wet is will droop too much for scale effect.
Greg
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could you do the same thing to create gun mantlet covers for tank turrets? I really wish some manufacturers would skip the 'moveable' gun barrel and just mold a nice cover on the tank.

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!

Yoda, I used the glue and tissue to make the mantlet cover the M48 I did. It turned out to be pretty easy to do. I've also heard of using wire as a frame and tape as the 'canvas' so you might wanna try that too.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yoda, I used the glue and tissue to make the mantlet cover the M48 I did. It turned out to be pretty easy to do. I've also heard of using wire as a frame and tape as the 'canvas' so you might wanna try that too.

I'll have to try that. Before, I never really had the ambition to try to scratchbuild stuff like that. Now, I'm noticing that things are a lot easier to do when you actually try them. (airbrushing, for example) Thanks for the tip!

YodaMan
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC
Yeah, guys, this really isn't that hard. I used styrene rod to make a framework over the turret of my M36, and made a tissue tarp to cover part of it. I did this because tarp frameworks were comonly added, and to hide the fact that the interior of my modified Italeri turret was pretty sparse! (I didn't have Hunnicutts book when I started). The end result looked great. Just let your imagination run wild an experiment. You'll like what you create, I guarantee it!
Greg
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
Look at the "making canvas" post near the bottom in this same forum ! There's some more clues down there.

Jan
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 09:08 AM UTC
What brand of tissue do you use. I went to the store and all the tissue I saw had flowers or other patterns in it. I even went to the dollar store to get some cheap stuff thinking is would not have the patterns but it all did. Also, do you use toilet paper, paper towels, or what?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC

Andrew,
I tried toilet paper, multi-layered paper handkerchiefs, paper napkins, kitchen tissue, paper towels,...
All that works. Of course the thinner, the easier it breaks. I'd suggest you try different types and see what you like best.

I don't think flower patterns are a problem. I don't think the flowers come shining through the paint in the end result.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the answer. I should have been more clear on the flower part. All the tissue I have seen have patterns stamped into the tissue giving it fancy texture. I am not worried about the color coming through I just don't want imprinted desighns in my tarps or whatever I build. I guess the only thing to do is try it out and see what happens.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
Andrew,
I even tried those, too. If the design features are not punctures but just embossed, they disappear when you make the tissue wet with the glue.
But to be on the safe side, I suggest you try toilet tissue. If it's too thin, you may try to put two or several pieces on top of eachother. The glue integrates them into one layer...

Actually, I was pondering on your question even in bed last night. I'm not sure it would be impossible to use normal letter paper or newspaper paper for this. They may seem too sturdy, but once they are soaked well, that may work.... I guess it's worth a try ?

Next time I need some tarp, I'll give it a try...

Jan
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 03:42 AM UTC
Another method that I explained in another post awhile back is the use of two part epoxy putty. Mix equal parts of the two together and then roll it out flat using a rolling pin and some baby powder or talcum powder. The powder prvents the putty from sticking. Once the putty has been rolled out nice and flat cut it to shape and then let it set up for a few minutes or so. At this time creases and folds can be worked into the putty. Once you are satisfied with the look just let it set and dry. After it is dry the piece can be removed from what ever you have it on (the powder also prevents the putty from sticking to this piece as well) and painted. A good article in a recent issue of Fine Scale Modeler describes this very technique. I have been using this technique and it works exceptionally well. I paint the whole piece flat black and then go back with the base color I want. The black kind of pre-shades it and keeps any bare spots taht may have missed paint from jumping out at the viewer.Once all is said and done it can be weathered however you want. Pastels, acrylics, oils...yada yada yada. Anyway thats how I do it. "Q"
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 09:32 AM UTC
Ive attempted this twice and both times it worked out well. I use the tissue that is stuffed into new shoes. The stuff I have is pink. Place it over where you want it. Start adding the white glue/water mixture. Push it into place and crease as wished with the glue brush. if you make a hole just place a little piece over and glue in place. All the glue hides your rough wotk. Paint black and drybrush in whatever shade yu want it. Then keep adding white and drybrush lighter shades and strokes each time. Works great. E-mail me for pics anybody who is interested.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 11:13 PM UTC
Just doing some research and wanted to add my thoughts...

The question of what kinds of tissue paper to use. I have used all the kinds mentioned here and another kind - the kind used in wrapping gifts. It can usually be found at Card shops and or paper/party stores. There are various brands, look around see what looks and feels best.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
... and then there's those really thick paper napkins and tablecloths. They almost look like textile. I did not yet try them, but each time I see them on a diner table, I think of must remember to take one home to try it for making tarp. Then by the end of dinner it is all wrinkled and smeared with sauce...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
I got a good article on this recently. I will try to post it tonight.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP