_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
looking for opinions
jim81147
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 05:44 PM UTC
I am looking at getting a canon powershot d10 with 12.1 mp and a 3X optical zoom . Its the waterprrof model. Does anyone have feedback on this particular camera? I can get it for $329 with an 8GB memory card. Thanks for any input.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Jim. A lot of it depends on what you plan on shooting with it and how much you plan on shooting. I had a Canon cybershot when they first came out and while it did ok, I just really wasn't happy with it. I upgraded several times through the years until I finally ended up with a DSLR, also by Canon, that I am thrilled with. I don't know anything about the camera you mentioned, but I would suggest taking one for a test drive at a local shop before buying to see if it is really what you are after. Explain to the people there what you plan on shooting, where, how much etc. and they should be able to talk to you about the pros and cons of that particular camera. You might also do a search online on some photography sites to see if you can find out more info there. I found out a wealth of info on my DSLR this way and it helped in my purchase of it. I know it isn't much, but I hope it helps. "Q"
Photobug
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 03:17 AM UTC
I agree that you should take whatever camera that you are looking for a test drive. Take a look at the photos that you have on your computer, desk drawer shoebox etc and figure out what subjects that you shoot most often be it wildlife, landscapes, portraits, macros, sports etc.

If you are interested in photography and use a camera a lot, some places will let you rent equipment for a few days to a week. That's what I do when I get ready to buy a lens and will do so when I buy my next DSLR.

Dpreview.com is one of the better sites that I have found with a wealth (sometimes overwhelming) of information.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 03:34 AM UTC
All good advice. May I also suggest if you're planning on shooting models with it, take a sample along to the camera store and take some test shots of it. It'll give you an idea of how will it will work on close in work.
 _GOTOTOP