_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
First-timer tips
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hiya everybody. I've bought a digital photo camera, (Sony dsc-P92).And now I'm planning to make some photograghs of my models to share them with you all.
Are there any tips and/or bottle-necks I have to think about? B.T.W. it's a 5.0 mega-pix camera, if that's of any help or consideration.

Thanks in advance, John.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:31 AM UTC
If you're planning on posting on line, choose a medium file size from your options. Going with the maximum will slow download speeds significantly for those with a dial up connection. If it's anything like my Sony FD95, you'll be able to do some amazing close ups. You'll also find that viewing your models on the computer screen will turn up flaws the Mark I eyeball might miss.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hiya Dragonwagon!
Try and take all your photos of models outside in natural light.
If your camera has aperture priority then turn it to this and use the largest setting you can so you get the biggest depth of field (on macro setting), this way all your model will be in focus instead of just the bit you fucus on. When you have downloaded your pic use any photoediting program to save all your images as uncompressed Tif files, otherwise everytime you save a change to your pic you will lose some of the info in your pic file. On a jpg version (if you have adobe) resize the image to about 1000 pixels wide and then save to a compression rate of 3, this should give you an image size of about 80k which is ok for storing in an MSN album and linking to from the forums.

Vinnie
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Try and take all your photos of models outside in natural light.

IMHO, pictures of models taken outside in direct sunlight provide too harsh lighting and shadows. In fact, without a fill in flash, many outdoor pictures will have way too harsh shadows. Observe aprofessional taking wedding photos and you'll almost always see him/her using a flash.

I take all my pictures on my work bench with 3 adjustable lights. This allows me to reduce shadows and get good overall lighting. I also use a gray fabric backdrop to keep the background neutral and provide complete emphasis on the subject. Digital photography, unlike film, can maintain good color balance under a variety of lighting sources.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
Really? Don't think so. Possibly where you are in the states, but not in the Netherlands where Dragonwagon is. Or here in the UK for that matter. I shot a load of pics today and posted in the forums. Not a lot of harsh shadows evident. You're talking about using fill-in flash which wedding photographers do NOT always use....just ocassionally. I know 'cos I do weddings as well as teach science. Depends on the light direction and the exposure set. Hey! We're all trying to be as helpful as possible here aren't we?

Quoted Text

IMHO, pictures of models taken outside in direct sunlight provide too harsh lighting and shadows.

JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:47 AM UTC
I am absolutely no photography expert but I agree with Al.

I just started photograhing my figures and found that the outside light washes out my enamels and makes my faces look like clowns.

My conclusion: photo under the same light sources that I painted my figs. Voila! Looks good for me!!!

KP
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:03 PM UTC
I have found many of my best model pics were taken outside, when it was cloudy. This is sort of a middle ground for taking the pics as you won't have lighting that is too harsh or too bright. Another thing to watch out for is when you use the Macro mode (the flower icon on that camera) watch through the LCD screen what you are taking. If you get to close a shadow from the barrel of the lens may appear. If you try taking macro photos indoors, often times the camera decides that it needs it's flash. That close the picture will be VERY washed out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
:-) I use daylight but use the light coming in through my modelling room window. I have built a crude table that rests on the window sill, there is also a back board. Both the table top and back board are covered in a light blue artist board. This gives a pleasing no clutter background. If the sun is to harsh I use a piece of insulation material which nicely defuses the light. When necessary I use the fill in flash on the camera. My camera is a Minolta Dimage 3.3 mega pixels. I am very happy with the pics I have been able to take. I process them through Adobe Photo Shop Elements 2. All I do is crop, size and save for the web.

Until I can get some proper lights this setup works just fine. Just on a side note, the one time I actually took pics out doors (same set up but to late to catch the light through the window) The wind blew over the back board which damaged the model. So I much prefer to take pics indoors :-)
Mal

PS. IMHO one of the biggest mistakes made by members, when posting pics is to have a cluttered background. Not only does this detract from what is a great model, but will unnecessarily increase the file size. Even draping a cloth over a chair is better to show off a model than a cluttered work station. :-)
 _GOTOTOP