History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Japanese Arms
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 11:39 PM UTC
During the WWII, what tanks, AFV's and infantry weapons did they use? Only a handful of info shows their land military strength
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 07:40 PM UTC
The Arisaka rifle was one both in 7.7 and 5.5mm varieties. I personally have a 7.7mm version as well as one wicked bayonet. They also had a series of tanks Chi-Ha comes to mind, but I'll leave that one for someone who knows, I'm too tired to go drag out my reference books. They had the Nambu machine gun which I understand was quite good. I believe that was 7.62, but not totally sure
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 08:14 PM UTC
Nah, Namboo was a pistol, black with a round thing on the back.

~Chip
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 12:59 AM UTC
Well a couple of corrections the Type 38 Arisaka was in 6.5mm and the type 99 was in 7.7 mm. The Nambu Machine gun was a copy of a French one, they also made a few types of pistols. The Tanks were mostly of the light types, I know that the type 97 was classed by the IJA as a medium but it was basicly a light one by anyother countries standards . The IJA was not interested in Mech warfare dur to the lack of manufacturing capacity and the lack of fuel also for the most part they fought inferior Foes till the island hopping campaings started. The Chinese were to Fragmented and disorganized to put up a viable defence and were not mechinized either. The one time on the Asian Mainland that fought a Mechanized Foe thet got spanked! The Russians defeted them soundly. We used mech forces in the island campaings but as infantry support not as explotation forces.
HTH
Jeff Larkin
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:46 PM UTC
Didn't we get into a tank on tank battle with them In the Phillipines? I know they had some on Okinawa and Saipan as my dad made mention of it. But the vast majority of them were in Mongolia where they were no match for the Russian stuff. Thanks for correcting the bore size on that Arisaka .
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 07:44 PM UTC
Yes Blaster we did get into some tank on tank engagments and even a sizable one in the Philippines, but these were in addition to the infantry fight not the normal armored break through that most of us consider Mech warfare to be. Japanest Tanks were used in a subordant roll to their infantry and were religated to staying with them. Yes there are even instances of a few Japanese tanks taking out Shermans but it was by no means common. To the Japanese the Sherman was a big and bad as the Tiger was to our tankers. Even our light tanks faired better aganst them due to the Aggressive training our tankers had compaired to the Japanese tankers. Being trained to stay with the Infantry can make for very rigid and unworkable tactics for armor.
Well I guess I ran on a bit?
Just my 2 Cents worth
Jeff
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:28 AM UTC
my grandfather fought the japs in burma and in his experience jap tanks didnt fair well against 25pounders!
apparently if hit with he shell the jap tk's had a habit of disintigrating!
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:09 PM UTC
Well, the armour of the jap tanks was too weak and they werent any threat to the allied tanks
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:13 PM UTC
Just bought Battlefield 1942 and the expansion. I saw some Jap tanks. The bad part is, the infantry weapons were from Germany! They were using Walther/Luger, StG 44 etc... I am hoping to see Jap weapons but it leaves me with these German thingys
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:18 PM UTC
yeah ive got it too, but there are some patches and mods (s9 realism mod...) that the weapons are the reeal ones
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yeah ive got it too, but there are some patches and mods (s9 realism mod...) that the weapons are the reeal ones

Where can I get the patches/MODs? I've seen the Dessert Storm. Is it a MOD or an expansion?
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
http://www.planetbattlefield.com/
Desert Combat is a mod which simulate the 1st Usa-irak war
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

http://www.planetbattlefield.com/
Desert Combat is a mod which simulate the 1st Usa-irak war

IS this the one with the MLRS and the Abrams? Also, where can I get bots for LAN game? Or how do I add them? I wanna play over the network but I can't add bots! Only in the single player instant battle
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:59 AM UTC
Multyplayer-> create game-> gamemode coop (its with bots)
yeah DC is with modern arms like stinger rockets, abrams tanks, mlrs t-dunno mortars, hunvees and so on