_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Project pictures
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hello all,

I was just wondering how many people take pictures of their projects from start to finish, and not just the finished project. I have only taken pictures when I have finished the model but lately I have been impressed by some of the in progress photo's I have seen. Especially whith multi-media type kits that allow you to see all the extra items added to the project like metal barrels, resin stowage, etc. I am wrapping up a couple projects and now wish I had some photos of my M1A2 with the metal barrel, resin, and PE. It was neat in it's own way.
Anyway, how many people take pictures the whole way through their projects and if there are any specific points you alway take a picture before you take the next step?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
Like yourself, this is something that has impressed me as well, and i have started doing likewise recently. Its nice to see the progress but to me the big advantage is when you have some nice upclose pictures you see things that you didnt notice, and annoying little mistakes. So in fact the photos become like a second persons view. So now I take photos as an inspection process as well!
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 08:04 PM UTC
I take pictures of all my models at various stages of construction. My reasons for this are because I want a record of what I have done plus I would like to have some of my work published in some of the mainstream magazines. For example due to be posted in the RRB at the beginning of next week is the next update of my BTT. I have the hull joined to the chassis and am now involved heavilly in the detailing of the exterior and it looks good at the minute. For me a model doesnt come to like until you start adding the tiny bits and I feel it is important to get lots of in-progress shots so you can see how the layers of this stuff builds up.

Lee
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
I have of my first dio (my nam dio) but i havent scanned them, i hope ill do that soon
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 12:24 AM UTC
I don't generally take pictures of in-progress stuff unless there is a goal in mind - an article, a how to, or a resource for a new technique.
I do make a point of taking pictures of EVERY kit when its done. (Need to get new hard drive for all the photos). I keep the instruction sheets and reference material and final photos in a binder/portfolio.
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 209 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
hey slodder..why not burn them to a cd..less expensive..for the drive and cd....you can create a series on one..model verses..real..thats what i do..i have about 40 cd's each with its own subject...and hass all my referance photos nad model photos on it...find its a lot easier that way.insted of looking thru foldersof all the pic...also saves on the hd space...just my 2 cents..oh and get rewritable ones..cuse when your done or want to change..you can erase them
Ray
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
I guess it goes without saying that I do. Originally it was for publishing on my website, but now it is more of a photofile for myself to keep record of what I did in case a project gets interrupted by a more pressing item. I can better pickup where I left off.

Gunnie
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:57 AM UTC
Here's another reason for in-progress pics: At least if you encounter some disaster that can't be fixed, or try some technique that doesn't work out well, you at least have the pictures of the model the last time it was in an acceptable state. You'll always have the memories....
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:48 AM UTC
Since I upgraded from an "old school" SLR to a digital camera, I definitely thave been taking alot of photos of my models.

First, I like the "honesty" that the closeup pics provide.... there's usually no hiding a gap or a glue mark or a sanding mark when I take pictures of the models.

Second, I really enjoy the fact that I can share the models with others. The feedback that I get is always useful... since most of you don't live in my "neighborhood" I can't have you over to the shop to check out models. The camera is the only way to share the works in progress.

Later,
Tim
Torque
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 05:58 AM UTC
I think I'm like you drewgimpy. I usually only take a pic of the finished product if at all. Would like to do a start to finish photo shot of my next project.
 _GOTOTOP