_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Inlarging plans in books
hogger99
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 03:44 AM UTC
Hello,

How would you enlarge the plans in a book when the plans are drawn in 1/35 scale in the book to actual 1/35.

Thanks

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
If they are drawn in 1/35 scale, they shouldn't need to be enlarged. They are already in the right scale.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hi Sam

If the drawing says 1/35 it should be in that scale ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, however if you can find some reference material with the overall dimensions indicated, like length, width, height, wheel base or the like, you can divide the real size by 35 and check it against the plans in the book to see if the printers have put the scale drawings on to scale.

If the drawings are not copied in the scale, then you need to make sure of your dimensions before you enlarge or reduce the drawing to get the scale correct.

If you have real dimensions of the vehicle on the drawings like for example wheel base (centre of wheel to centre of wheel) then you take these measurements and check the scale.

Take a dimension you know on the real vehicle (say wheel base of 3500mm). Measure the wheel base on the drawing and if it is 100mm then the scale is likely 1/35

3000 divided by 35 = 100

If the drawing has been reduced to fit a page and is not to 1/35

3500mm real wheel base is only 50mm on drawing this would be copied at 1:70 scale

3500 divided by 50 = 70

To enlarge you need to know the percentage to set the photocopier to. Original scale over required scale multiplied by 100.

Original scale here is 1:70 and required scale is 1:35

70 divided by 35 = 2 multiplied by 100 = 200

Photocopier would need to be set at 200%

If you need to reduce drawings it is still original scale divided by required multiplied by 100

Say drawings are 1:24 scale and you need them at 1:35

24 divided by 35 = 0.6857 (say 0.69) multiplied by 100 = 69

Photocopier would need to be set at 69%

Hope that is as clear as can be (NOT AS CLEAR AS MUD)

All the best

Nigel
hogger99
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
My bad. The plans say when this bar measures 3cm the plans will be at 1/35. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 07:33 AM UTC
Sam

If 30mm is the size you need on the bar size.

Measure what the size is on the page (for example 10mm)

30 divided by 10 equals 3 multiplied by 100 equals 300

Photocopier would require to be set at 300%

Because photocopiers maybe don't allow such large range of enlargement or reduction you might have to set the percentage at the highest figure first,

photocopy

measure the bar size and do the calculation to see what the next setting for the photocopier to be set at if you undestand what I mean.

Hope that helps

Nige
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 04:00 PM UTC
What I used to do for the electric park flyer plans was scan the page I liked out of a magazine and save in a file on the puter. Open up said plan in MS paint and enlarge to a rough amount{plan has a wingspan of 12" and I need 36" start at 300%}...then tweek up or down if needed. When done hit "file" upper left corner by toolbar and "save as" to save it for later or as a spare...ship it to the same file as the scan but mark it as enlarged or something to tell them apart. You can also hit "print preview" from MS paint {or reopen the saved enlargement in paint again later}and see how many pages it'll "tile" out in..meaning the printer will section the whole thing{1-200 pages - as needed} and you just trim off the margin space on the printed sheets and tape together the new multi piece enlarged plan.
whatch for dead/barely used sheets in the print preview and omit those pages from printing out to save paper use....also, switch from portrait layout to landscape layout in the advanced printing section to see which will use less paper per the printout.
Or, your could just take a file to kinkos and pay them to print it on one sheet too...I'm cheap though! Hope this helps ya.
hogger99
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I plan to use all of the methods suggested.
 _GOTOTOP