_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
AEF designs
skyhigh
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:18 AM UTC
does anyone know of this company and how there quality is.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:35 AM UTC
I have never used them but have heard nothing but bad things about them both in the forums and from people who had dealings direct with the company. the quality is reputed to be very bad in general. Do a search here or over on missing-lynx and it should confirm what I've said.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:41 AM UTC
I've used them before. Qualtiy is poor, quality control is worse, customer service (from what I hear) is nonexistant.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC
Here's a handful of quotes from threads about AEF that should tell you all you need to know:

Quoted Text

I've never been lucky enough to get an AEF Designs kits that wasn't short-shot or so warped as to be unusable.

Quoted Text

The AEF Designs one I made the mistake of purchasing has added roof armor. When purchasing AEF stuff, which is rare, I tell myself I'll get to finishing it when I have more strength. Hence, mine sits atop an ever growing pile of disappointing kits.

Quoted Text

Regarding the AEF kit: I knew I took a risk ordering that conversion. However, I AM a bit amazed that they didn't even take the few extra minutes to line up the Trumpeter parts before they casted it! But I guess they have a (bad) rep to live up to.

Quoted Text

It is obviously not AEF's, because theirs was terrible.

Quoted Text

by all means use aef kits as templates to scratchbuild from... for the most part the kits are junk.cast terribly with very poor fit

Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
Brendan, I have built or tried to build a few of AEF's kits. All have been interesting to say the least. I would take Pat's suggestion to heart. At best, AEF items can be hit or miss. Tony (Owner operator of AEF) has some excellent subjects in his inventory. However, his customer service sucks, and his quality assurance/ quality control is non-existant. I have bought one item from him at his house, where he ran the business from years ago and that was the last time I have bought from him. This was several years ago. All other items I have ended up with from AEF were items that were won in raffles, or simply given to me. At best they can be used for parts, or filler. Save yourself the head-ache and frustration of dealing with AEF. Trust me, I speak from experience. From what I have found, parts will be warped, feature severe mold shift, short shot, or in a lot of cases, parts that don't go to that particular kit are found in the box, and the parts that you need are not. So....run away, run away fast and look elsewhere. You will be happier in the long run. "Q"
skyhigh
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 05:23 AM UTC
this is really dissapointing cuz they hav some real cool stuff
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC
I dont even know why the company is still here. Its just shocking, how they sell their products to people who have no clue what POS awaits them in the box they might not receive. Can some one here please tell me what wrong with those guys?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
It's not "guys", just one guy who pours the molds and ships out. I believe there are several folks who make masters for him on commission, but it is the owner/operator that butchers the final product.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but it is the owner/operator that butchers the final product.

Sabot is correct. The lone single item I purchased myself was done so at Tony's house as he lived in the Denver area at the time. When I got to his house to get my kit, what greeted me is beyond description. Extremely dirty house in a not so nice neighborhood complete with trash and dog doo all over the interior. In the basement were two folks stuffed into one small corner who seemed to be working on molds or something. Apparently my kit had just came out ouf the mold for when I checked it over, it was still warm and not fully cured! Also came up short on parts which I pointed out, and he cast there on the spot. I took the kit out and set it on a display case to finish curing while I waited on my missing pieces to be cast. The "work area" where he did the masters at was a disaster area with stuff strewn all over the place. I know my bench has become cluttered when I build, but this looked like it had never been cleaned and/or straightened up. Once my parts were finished and fully cured, I boxed my stuff up and hit the road. I believe a lot of those who do buy from him are overseas, namely Taiwan, Thailand etc. I have seen a lot of praise for his stuff from several folks in these parts of the world. Don't know if they have some kind of deal where if they heap praise on his crap he sends them free stuff of what, but I walked/ ran away from his stuff years ago. Apparently he is still marketing stuff as I see it on the shelves at a rather well stocked store here in CO. Buyer beware takes on a whole new meaning with this stuff. "Q"
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 12:30 PM UTC
Run as fast as you can away from their stuff!! I have bought a couple of AEF sets over the years and everything everyone has written above is true.

Like you said they have some reallt interesting stuff though. Buyer beware!!!

Darryl
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hey, I think at least one of the above quotes was from me.
I've bought his stuff over the years, starting about '90 or '91, all the way through a few years ago. My number one complaint is customer service. He has NEVER replaced any of the missing parts (second complaint) from any of the numerous kits which were missing them.
The last straw was the L33 a few years ago.
That said I will not make a boneheaded statement such as this one about the T-62 turret:

Quoted Text

The AEF and Verlinden are made for the Tamiya kit, so very little if anything would fit. The AEF is usally (sic) trash

without actually having it in hand. The guy who said that has a habit of talking out his fourth point of contact anyway. In point of fact the T-62 turret was quite accurate, and nicely cast - it was the engine deck and gun which were poorly done.
I have found some of their stuff usable, if not with a lot of work. I usually end up using parts (which apparently were beautiful masters) as a basis for scratchbuilding my own. In fact, my very first AEF kit won me a trip at TamiyaCon. Granted, I used very few of the original parts, and spent hours straightening the hull, removing unwanted blobs, and filling air bubbles. (my third complaint-poor casting process) Tony's response to me when I complained was "I guess you've never built a resin kit before," and since I had indeed not, thought this was normal at the time.
Sadly, if he would just make good on his promises, I still have a list of about $750 worth of kits I'd buy from him tomorrow. I don't mind putting in the work, just being taken for a ride.
Maybe he could use some of that money and get himself a maid...
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe he could use some of that money and get himself a maid...

lol
He would need an entire platoon to clean what I saw. "Talking out his 4th point of contact..." My how that brings back memories. Hope alls well on your end Rob. Keep them feet and knees together.. "Q"
sfctur1
Visit this Community
entire network: 643 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 02:31 PM UTC
I have bought some of his stuff. He is very slow with shipping, quality of most of the resin cast is not the best. It is a hard type resin and alot of the small parts have been broken. The directions on most the kits I ordered are really lacking in part placement. This is my opinion. But he has alot of detail kits nobody else has.
Tom
 _GOTOTOP