_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
The right network
airfix627
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:11 PM UTC
I am new to the site, but not to modelling.
I am begining to wonder if this is the right one for me.
Although I've modelled for years, I'm not that particualy
clever at it. I make the models as they come in the box, never
used PE and am c**p at weathering. Everyone on this site seems
to be a real expert at modelling. I'm perfectly happy with the fact
that all my models have a brand new 'Factory finnish' and great satisfaction
from completing a kit. What I am trying to say is. is this site
just for experts and should I be looking elswhere?
Are there any others out there who just build from the box?
By the way, this is not a moan. I am just not sure.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Stuart, and welcome. When I joined the kitmaker network about 8 months ago I was the same as you. In fact I still have never tried Photo-etch or resin, and I have only just started to try weathering and some different painting techniques. My first attempt at airbrushing was only late last year !!

You will find this network an infinite source of inspiration, knowledge and encouragement no matter what your experience and skill level, I most certainly have.

Just don't be shy about asking questions and posting pics of your progress and you will have all of the answers and constructive advice you will ever need.

Cheers, D
airfix627
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:59 PM UTC
Cheers Damian nice to know there is someone else like me. I mean when one sees some of the kits these folk put together, it's out of this world, it really makes one feel completely useless.
Mind you I will be having some fun building a K5 Railway Gun, present from my girlfriend. At the moment I am just finnishing a Bristol Superfreighter. Do you think I should really upload some of my pics.
Happy modelling
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 12:01 AM UTC
it really depends on my mood as to If I'll addd "optional" PE to a kit........ i do have a tendancy to scratchbuild though. Modelers of all Skill levels are welcome here!!
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi Stuart ! Welcome to the greatest site on earth ! No it's not just for the experts . It's for everyone who enjoys building models of their favorite subjects and sharing with other members .
Nothing wrong with not weathering your builds . The only person you have to really please is yourself !
The greatest tool you have on your bench is asking questions and is of the most valve .

There are Lot's of members who don't do any weathering and build just out of the box . Weathering is a personal choice and to taste of what some one likes . So don't be affaird or intimated by other builds online . We are all here to share and learn while helping each other out . Share your pic's of your projects and have fun , after all it's only a hobby
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi Stuart

There are many of us here that are constantly in awe of other "expert" members. That, for me, is half the fun of this hobby. Learning from others and trying out new techniques to make my kits look better.
The really great thing is that during the picture taking process, most mistakes can be hidden so that even a really bad modeler like myself can have a decent looking model. :X

Seriously, this place has the most helpful and sincere people of any modeling community I've visited. Pretty much everyone is here to either help or like me, ask advise. Welcome!

Hermon
airfix627
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi All
How the heck do you get photos uploaded.
I've tried using the link, e-mail to a staff member
nothing, can't get them up Heeeeelp!
I've now given up on trying to upload pictures.
Why it's so difficult to upload pictures beats me.
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How the heck do you get photos uploaded.

Tell you the blunt truth - I find the Kitmaker gallery a PITA. Its generally more trouble than it's worth. I only use it for campaigns, display pics, etc. Use http://photobucket.com/. Its free, and its what most people here seem to use. Upload your pics to it, and tell it to crop them to an 800x600 resolution or so (by clicking "More options" next to the Upload button). Then, open the large view of your picture(s) that you wana to put in the forum, RIGHT click it, and select "Copy Image Location".

Now, in Armorama, click the button that says [img].
That'll put this in your post

[ img ]http://put.url.here/image.file[ /img ]

Paste the Image Location that you just copied over the "http://put.url.here/image.file," and your picture will be there.

Hope this helps

SCOTT

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:19 AM UTC
I'm with Scott, Photobucket is the easiest, and virtually unlimited storage. Also easy to organise your shots. When you cursor over the photo you want to drop into a forum, there's a pop-up list of links. You just copy/paste the bottom link into your post. it's already formatted.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:39 AM UTC
Almost forgot, when you have some spare time have a look at this thread . . .

Reading the Seams

It is full of really good tips to help overcome fit issues and improve the finish of your builds.

Cheers, D
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC
Stuart, Welcome to Armorama. I have been modeling on and off now for many years. I am not a Professional modeler. I have very little artistic abilities, I build for the fun of it, I build OUT OF Box/ nothing fancy, I am here on Armorama, because It s a learning experience for me. My modeling has inproved and I have had the oppertunity to meet others with the same interest.. There are some Awesome modelers here, take advantage of their talents and learn from them as I do. I still am not comfortable with PE and weathering, but I am learning. A Great Place to Grow in your Hobby.! milvehfan
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am new to the site, but not to modelling.
I am begining to wonder if this is the right one for me.
Although I've modelled for years, I'm not that particualy
clever at it. I make the models as they come in the box, never
used PE and am c**p at weathering. Everyone on this site seems
to be a real expert at modelling. I'm perfectly happy with the fact
that all my models have a brand new 'Factory finnish' and great satisfaction
from completing a kit. What I am trying to say is. is this site
just for experts and should I be looking elswhere?
Are there any others out there who just build from the box?
By the way, this is not a moan. I am just not sure.

well, i am not an expert and I love this site. It is not perfect, as nothing on this planet is but you will read here the most extraordinary things, will have the freedom to ask the most stupid questions and receive a number of very good answers.

The chances that the experts on this site (and there are quite a few amazing modellers here) will start making fun at you (or me) for asking a beginners question are nil.

Stay on the site, enjoy the info and yuo will notice that your skills will improve
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC
As far as I know, theres no entancelevel for this site - and you will expirence feedback that are targeted at your level, whatever that may be at a given time.

When I first joined the site, I used the most basic techniques and felt that the responces was allways in a realistic range of my potential.

By being here and posting my inprogress work, I have learned a tremendous amount about modelling, and I have gained the confidence to take on more complex challanges.

Wellcome, and Cheers!

Jan
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 01:49 AM UTC
Don't worry too much about your level. Rembrandt had to learn how to paint as well.

When I came here on this site in 2002 I only came with questions. My skills weren't all that great. This site and the frienly people around have heped me greatly through the years. The best advice I can give you is post pictures of your work and ask for feedback. You will notice that you will get your feedback and tips and tricks and hints and search through the articles on this site. There are lots of them. And you don't have to know it all at once.. It is a hobby... It should be fun.

It took me litterally years to get at the level I am now and I know there is still a huge lot to improve.
airfix627
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi Folks
I've finally managed it and got some pics up in the members gallery. I've found it easy now, gward knows what I was doing wrong before! Any way.
Please feel free to comment. I'm chuffed with them.
Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone re my reservations, I was proberbly just having a bit of a down day when I wrote it.
Now, my girlfriend is getting me the K5 Railway Gun from Trumpeter, in a couple of weeks time.
Heck, I'll be a year older as well.
This will be a BIG build for me, does anyone think it would be a good idea for me to post the build of this on the site?
Keep smiling
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi Stuart. Welcome to Armorama.
Just post and enjoy yourself. One thing I ask is not to limit yourself by saying I only do this or I only do that.
As Faust mentioned, many of joined in 2001/2002/2003 and were complete novices and new to the hobby, but as the site, I guess we grew as well. But modelling is an never ending journey ... there will always be new levels, new skills, new fads, etc. so everybody is always catching up. What you know and can do today will be different tomorrow ... allow yourself to be inpired and don´t be afraid to try new things .. its what keeps the interest alive.
What you build and how you build is a personal thing, and enjoying what you do should be the common factor. Building out of the box is a skill in itself ... and can be sometimes harder in competition because of the limits. More emphasis is placed on the ground skills, building and painting ... which you cant really go to advanced without. Too often, Ive seen kits with £100 of aftermarket stuff, and itlooks really poor because the ground skills are not good enough.
airfix627
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi Frank
Thanks for the advice, but one thing I can say, is that I won't be attempting any weathering on the K5, too expensive for me to **** it up, my girlfriend would kill me! But I have got an old M110 which got knocked off the shelve and smashed, so I will reasemble it into some sort of order and try on that. Oh yea, I read about giving the model a 'wash' in this colour or other.
What's that all about?
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hey Stuart, No worries pal. Everyone has to start at the begining. You should see some of my first attempts. I look back and can;t belive some of the things I've done over the years. But fortunitly, that's what makes the spare parts bin that we would be soooo lost without. And one thing in life to remember about experts, when you know it all, class is over, say hello to your maker. Basicly, you never stop learning. Out of box or super detailed, enjoy your hobby, it's for fun. And welcome to armorama.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,847 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
Welcome to the network, Stuart. Skill levels and build results vary with the individuals experience. I only returned to the hobby not too long ago and have found the site and the people here both encouraging and helpful. With each successive built I find I learn and apply more things that improve my end result. As someone already stated, please yourself and have fun.

As for washes, the techniques and materials very with the individual builder. Washes are just basically diluted colours that vary with the subject and circumstances. I primarily build AFV's and use acrylic paints in earth tones for washes. Search the sites and you'll most likely find articles (tutorials) that will explain various methods in detail.

Cheers,
tread_geek
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 01:24 AM UTC
Greetings and welcome.

No worries go at your own pace. And most of all enjoy your modeling time. Do what you want. Posting images does invite comment and crtique. But most people try to do this to help you with areas that may need your attention on the next build. Model On!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 04:32 AM UTC
Firstly welcome to the site Stuart.
There are people here with all levels of skill and knowledge; most are more than willing to share their techniques and methods with anyone who asks. I am not going to try and tell you it is all roses here because we all have bad days, and make posts they we regret later for whatever reason. You also need to remember that the staff on the sites work for a living, and do this for the benefit of us all for free in their free time, so don’t be surprised if it sometimes takes a few days for someone to get back to you.

Only advice I can give you is build what you want, how you want. If you have a question give it some thought before asking it, as the more information you give the more concise the answers you get. When it comes to practice of this that or the other method use a plastic milk carton, it is what they are for. Never try something you are not familiar with on your latest and greatest build.
 _GOTOTOP