TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Prince's Viking Song: Make it stop!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 10:36 AM UTC
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/sports/prince-reveals-song-for-vikings-saints-game
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
Read the lyrics and all I hope for is that the vikings win and I wont have to listen to this everagain. Thanks for the support prince, but don't sing at the playoffs please.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC
I just wonder why they have horn on their helmest if they are supposed to be vikings? Or does viking has another meaning in english?

Cheers
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 05:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just wonder why they have horn on their helmest if they are supposed to be vikings? Or does viking has another meaning in english?

Cheers

Finally! A misinterpretation that cannot be blamed on American ignorance. The confusion dates back many centuries, before we were even considering becoming our own country, but yes, the myth is perpetuated even today. And while it's not accurate (horns WERE worn, by preists, Celts, and others) the movie Pathfinder has some of the most badass "Viking" costumes you will ever seen on film.
For what it's worth, a lot of this region of the US was settled by people of Nordic descent, hence the name.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 01:44 AM UTC
Im afraid that this myth is younger than you think, Robert.

About 200 yeras old, but on the other hand it came about the time when Scandinavian settlers started to travel across the Atlantic once again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking#Horned_helmets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_emigration_to_the_United_States

What really stinks is that the Danish company LEGO made vikings with horned helmets as well?

Cheers
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 02:42 AM UTC
Artistic liecnce from Europe, not the U.S. The north east of the U.S., Canada, Greenland, Nova scotia etc. were settled by the Scandinavian countries that had sea faring ships(Vikings). It is belived that Erick the Redsfathyer was one of the first to settle thwere after being banished from (?) can't remember where, and sailed west twords the coast of newfoundland and on to greenland. Horns where for high rankers and priest in the tribes but look real cool on football helmets. Intemidation like the fly on a Greek shield. Truth or consequense time today. GO VIKINGS!!!!!!Purple people eaters!!!
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC
Yup, lets blame "tse germans" as usual, especially Wagner.

Cheers
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im afraid that this myth is younger than you think, Robert.

Cheers

Other than taking an excrutiatingly long time to build models, my hobbies include etymology, which then led to origins of phrases, and finally myths in general. I've known of the Viking horn myth for years, but since we're doing research, we can actually blame the ancients for first starting the myth, even though they were a little off on their ethnic groups...

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2189/did-vikings-really-wear-horns-on-their-helmets
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
That is a good article but I feel somewhat skeptic about having people who lived about 1000 years before the viking era (late ironage) as a source?

But there is strong bounds with the Germanic culture.

Also in estimating if helmets where common its an interesting fact that about 5-6 kila iron could be extracted from ore laying close to the ground in bogs for example.

Cheers