History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Book recommendation A Dawn Like Thunder
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC
I just finished this book from the library A Dawn Like Thunder: The true story of Torpedo Squadron Eight by Robert J Mrazek and I highly recommend it.

Honestly I always thought that the story of Torpedo Eight began and ended with the 15 Devastators shot down attacking the Japanese fleet at Midway, loosing all but one man. This book certainly covers that episode in very dramatic fashion. What I didn't know about was how it was a detachment of Torpedo Eight that flew the six Avengers that attacked as well, with the loss of all but one badly shot up plane. The story then goes on to the exploits of Torpedo Eight while they flew from the Saratoga, Hornet, and as part of the Cactus Air Force on Henderson Field, Guadalcanal. It goes on to show has Torpedo Eight might well have been the most highly decorated squadron in U.S. Navy history, winning 39 Navy Crosses, more than 50 lessor awards, and two Presidential Unit Citations

The story very well written and makes very interesting reading. I highly recommend this book.