History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Civil War what if
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:00 PM UTC
While I was at work yesterday one of my colleges ( a fellow civil war buff) asked a very good what if question I thought. So here it is.
What if Robert E Lee accepted Lincoln's request to head the Army of Union at the beginning of the war. How would have that have changed things around or would it have.
I have benn thinking on this and for he life of me can't really nail a theory down so I give it to you to ponder.
Paul
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
Lee would have been on the winning side...

And Arlington National Cemetery would be elsewhere, rather than on his property.

Mika H.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
Early Union victory? Civil War is a minor insurrection and not a war against slavery? No emacipation proclamation in 1863?

Remember though... early in the war Lee did not have a high reputation unitl after the Seven Days. Maybe he would have done as poorly as "Granny" Patterson did considering the pressure Lincoln and congress put on him...

Good question though...
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 06:23 PM UTC
I see your point J and it is a valid one indeed, but Lee was nominated by Winfeild Scott at the onset of the war.When he decided to retire and Lincoln asked for a name. I guess the thing I am stuck on is he would have had the likes of Butler, McClennan, and Grant as his Lieutenants. Not Longstreet, Stonewall, and Forrest. Plus as you mentioned the political pressure from Washington..
It would be Lee fighting w/o his Lieutenants that has stuck on whether the war would have been quicker. It was his plans and the fact that his lieutenants could execute them to the letter and beyond that made him great as a military leader..
But both you and Mika have made great points to consider also..
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
Lee most likely would have done adequately, but he would have been stuck with some poor if not jealous subordinates, such as McClellan and Pope. So while he may not have lost say Bull Run, he might not have had an easy time of it.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
The flip side to this is, who but Lee could have put together the appartatus/leadership that made the Confederate Army what it was. Longstreet was cetainly capable, but could he have handled the political squabblings? I think the upshot would have been a significantly shortened war.
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 01:09 AM UTC
Actually Lee was handed his army already with the lieutenants in place under Joseph Johnston when he was wounded Lee just took over command before that he (Lee) was an advisor to Jeff Davis.
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
Ok try this what IF George Washington had fought for the British. Hmmmmmmmm