_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Ready made rope for tie downs
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hey lads was wondering if anyone had happened upon this stuff for tie downs stowage etc. Was looking for some string or equivalent around the house, when found some flower arranging wire. This wire is covered in white string, the string being wound as rope to scale would be... With a simple dip in relevant paint colour, it works perfect as rope for stowage as I used for a tent roll on my M20, as once shaped around an object it holds its position just lovely. the stuff came in a plastic pack (which I bought to make barbed wire [pre-knowledge of fuse-wire!] previously on a trip to the local arts supply, from memory) and possibly had a dozen or so lengths of approx. 300mm which may have been doubled up to give twice as much! Hope this will be of help...............
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 01:30 AM UTC
Other ideas to complement yours can be:
- if you are (or you know) a fly-tyer you'll find in your tying box a lot of material to replicate ropes successfully
- just have a look in your mother's (wife's, fiancee's or girlfriends would be also good) sewing basket. You will find several kinds of sewing threads of various ticknesses that just perfect once dipped in a 50% white glue and water mixture...
Ciao
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 03:45 AM UTC
Model ship rigging is another possibility. It comes in various diameters and is in actually twisted 'rope'.

Amati is a brand that I have in a couple of sizes. I was able to pick it up at my local hobby shop a few years ago, but he usually does not carry it.
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hi there Pte Honeycut,
other things I've found that are good for rope and tie downs are:
1. Picture frame hanging wire with it being metal it's a good one for tow cables for tanks etc. and curves just like the real thing, you just need to superglue the plastic tow eyes on to it.
2. Ordinary string and instead of painting it, dye it using a dark clothes dye (a little tub of dye last ages), once in place drybrush to show age, wear etc.
3. Thread for smaller items like bedrolls etc if you need it thicker just twist a few lengths together.
Along with your ideas, I hope these may help.
Kenny.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Model ship rigging is another possibility. It comes in various diameters and is in actually twisted 'rope'.

I have had some good results with this also. The other methods sound pretty good to.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 05:19 PM UTC
If you know someone who works for a doctor or at a hospital, sutures are a great source of tie down rope. Get the braided nylon, undyed. The small U shaped needle is ideal for passing under tie downs and back around stowage.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP