History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
What happened in the colonies during WW2?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
I've often wondered how it was like in the areas that were colonized by France, Belgium, etc., when their colonizing countries were themselves occupied by Axis forces.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 08:31 AM UTC
Here's a link to an overview of the end of colonialism. Looking into the history of specific former colonies will get you more in depth information.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's a link to an overview of the end of colonialism. Looking into the history of specific former colonies will get you more in depth information.

Link didn't work after repeated tries.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
I can't answer for all French colonies but I know that after France fell Japan started to move into French Indochina. The U.S. demanded they pull out, which they didn't, and Roosevelt put on the embargo of U.S. items to Japan.

French colonies in North Africa were still under Vichy control until Operation Torch.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Link didn't work after repeated tries.

It should now...a little too much code in there. Sorry. I should have checked before leaving the thread.
McIvan
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:52 PM UTC
Some suprisingly isolated little outposts were invaded by the Allied....eg how many of you knew that Madagascar was invaded during WWII? Syria was another bitter little campaign between the Vichy French and veteran Australians; quite fiercly contested and with a lot of ill-feeling and casualties. In contrast the Vichy French gave up in Algeria/Morrocco with only a few token actions for honour's sake.