TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Why do the 'Blockbuster' movies suck?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
No, not the rental store. I mean the big summer films.

Seriously, all the hyped movies just blow. I saw previews for that League of Extraordinary Gentleman and it looks so stupid its hard to believe adults actually worked on it.

Has the viewing public gotten so dumb that they actually like this stuff or have they just forgotten that there are actually movies that are worth watching?

Hey. not trying to be an elitist here, one of my favorite movies is Dumb and Dumber! But, when I think about other big summer flicks, Raiders, ET, Terminator 2 or even Titanic, they at least were creative in their approach. Not serious but good fun.

The movies this summer have been so terrible.

Please don't kill me for this post!

Steve

PS - I almost want to see that Spy Kids thing just to see 3D!!!!
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:06 AM UTC
I thought you meant the company !!

LXG - cool thing was the Nautilus, otherwise, I didn't really like the movie.
T3 -eh, Ending made the movie, but T2 was such a great movie, T3 had too much to live up to...

Worst summer movie I never saw- Pearl harbor. I waited and waited for that movie, and was SO disappointed with the reviews and word of mouth. Saw part of it on cable- even WORSE than I thought it to be. Stupid horrible movie.
And along the same lines- Planet of the Apes remake- HORRIBLE!! Stupid movie with actors acting like monkeys, geez the Charleton Heston movie was lightyears better, at least the gorillas scared me, even if I was 10 years old when I saw it!

X2 was ok.
28 Days Later was interesting.

Raiders, well that's the greatest movie ever made. And FINALLY coming out on DVD !

Peter

herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi

Test audiences and trying to make it so EVERYONE will go don't help for quality.

Of the big movies this summer, we've seen X-Men 2 (awful), Matrix 2 (excrement), and Pirates of Caribbean (first 2/3rds good, then stupid overly long ending). Frankly, the Hulk, T-3, LXG and so on look like crap, and won't get my money.

The best movie I've seen this summer is Whale Rider. A 'small' movie that's fantastic.
The Italian Job is a decent summer action pic. Much better than the rest of the dren out there.

The new trend in HollowWood seems to be REALLY long movies. I blame LoTR for part of this, but at least the first one was good! Why are all these action movies clocking at 2 and a half hours or more? There's no plot, no character development, and I'm sick of special effects that aren't so special.

I guess I'm showing my age...

Andy
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's no plot, no character development, and I'm sick of special effects that aren't so special.

Exactly. How many times can you see car chases and explosions before you get bored?

Look at a movie like Raiders and even though its a fun movie that you don't have to think too much about, there are still great characters that you remember forever.

But, most of the big movies aren't really doing so great this summer.

I'm wondering what the next TV show to be made into a movie is. Maybe Good Times, or Chips?

PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
"I'm wondering what the next TV show to be made into a movie is. Maybe Good Times, or Chips?"

Actually it's the short-lived series SWAT. It will be out 8/8. I'll probably go and say to my wife "It's Days of Thunder gone Close Quarters Battle."
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"I'm wondering what the next TV show to be made into a movie is. Maybe Good Times, or Chips?"

Actually it's the short-lived series SWAT. It will be out 8/8. I'll probably go and say to my wife "It's Days of Thunder gone Close Quarters Battle."

Aw, come-on - who doesn't like Samuel L. Jackson?!?

Gunnie
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:51 AM UTC
The reason the bockbuster movies suck to you now is because you've grown-up. Summer movies are focused on teenagers. They date alot in the summer and going to movies is Mecca. NOw that you've "put away childish things" you demand more. You ain't going to get it. We're taking about almighty dollar here not something to stimulate your thinking process. To me the "blockbuster" is Gods and Generals. I'm a Civil War Historian and an ex-reinactor. Ordered it on DVD and can't ait for it to show up. Oh, about Pearl Harbor, buy it on DVD that way you can just watch the attack and skip the crapola. Be nice if you could chop it up and add it to Tora Tora Tora sans the poo poo
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:16 AM UTC
Blaster is right.

As my wife tells me, " You're not the demographic anymore."
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:39 AM UTC
The only blockbuster I ever worry about is the video store. I can't remember the last "blockbuster" movie I went to. So far this year the only movie I've seen is Finding Nemo with the wife and kids. We'll probably go see Seabiskit next week so my wife can have a good cry. Other than that I wait until they come out on DVD.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:14 PM UTC
No, it has nothing to do with growing-up. The movies I liked as a kid still stand the test of time. They are not all car crashes, big boobs, and boring special effects. I was grown-up when movies like Titanic came out and T2 and still thought they were well done.

Beisides, many of these movies are rated R and are aimed at a bit more mature audience.

Come on admit it, movies have been horrible lately. That's why there are so many sequels and remakes. People don't want a challenge!

PS - I will see SeaBiscuit too. That looks like it may be a decent film that all ages can enjoy. Even grown-ups.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:28 PM UTC
Me thinks the reason they cant live up to all the hype is because of all the hype! They are hyped up so much, they cant live up to expectations. Then they go and show all the good parts in reviews and ad campaigns.
I personally have given up on cinema and would rather hire out a few movies, just from what i read on the cover or from the cast, then at least if its crap, I wasnt let down. I have seen some really great movies lately that I never heard of until I saw the video or DVD.
Just hope when Lord of the rings 2 comes out, its as good as the first part!!
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 47 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC
I think the movie industry will do anything just to try to make money...take bad boys 2 for instance....the first movie was a joke...why go and make a second one??? when i first saw the previews for the league of.....ect ect.....i just thought it was more hogwash they were trying to shove down our throats. its bad enough that we have to pay 8.50 out here for a ticket, and then the pop and popcorn will set us back another 20 bucks. its almost to the point why would anyone want to go see a movie at all??? why not just save and spend the 20 bucks on the movie when it comes out...or 5 bucks to rent it and say you didnt like it.....i really wish i would have rented windtalkers....god was that movie bad
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC
If the trend is to market movies to teenagers these days- well then, American teenagers must be pure 100% idiots. We REALLY need the Draft reinstated....

compare Raiders to ANYTHING out in the past 10 years....... 20 years for that matter..

I think Hollywood did a better job this summer targetting the little kids- i.e. Finding Nemo.

The only movie I can think of that could be considered geared toward teens this summer is
'2 Fast 2 Furious' , and those 2 horror films.
Without Ritalin, teens don't have the attention span to watch anything over 93 minutes long - and they'll only watch something that long if there is a carcrash or explosion every 2 minutes.
"Dude, didn't they just blow up a bus, dude?"
"Dude I don't remember, dude, pass the mountain dew, dude, I got to take my ritalin, dude"

Sorry had to vent
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 03:17 PM UTC
I couldn't agree more that without Ritalin kids.... hey that dog has a curly tail!!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 03:22 PM UTC
SPOILER ALERT
Don't read any further if you don't want to know about T3...

IMHO, T3 does challenge, as you think why there was a T2 and even a T1, the very fact that a Terminator comes back proves there was a "Judgement Day", that the machines made war on humanity, that John Conner was born of Kyle Reese and Sarah Conner. If T1 exists, the conclusion of T3 has to exist. Nothing else can stand up to logic.