_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
All those German Panzers...
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Got back into modeling recently, and have been buying kits at a furious rate...! I live all kinds of kits, but seem to settle on aircraft, racing bikes and wheeled military vehicles with the odd tank thrown in for good measure. I have one question that is bugging the hell outa me. WHAT is the fascination with German Panzers..??!!! I realize this is a military site and that question may seem goofy to ask, yet, every time you turn around the latest model coming on line is ANOTHER variant of a Panzer...!!! I'm NOT knocking the kits nor the building of same. but I see so MANY of t hem on nearly every military forum, it makes one wonder...
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 02:40 PM UTC
The reason, I think, for the immense popularity of German armour is the "cool" and "bad@$$" vibe. Much like when Star Wars came out most people thought Darth Vader was the coolest character. There are literally endless ways to camo a Panzer IV to your own liking, or put some awesome looking markings on a mean-looking Tiger or sinister looking Stug. The huge variation on armour designs, markings, field mods, etc. hold a special place in modeller's hearts. The same goes for Axis aircraft - all the cool camo designs, mascots, etc. Speaking for myself, I just don't see that same attraction with Allied stuff, although I am also a fan of British and Allied softskins, especially trucks. I am also interested in US fighter designs for the same reason.
 _GOTOTOP