Hosted by Matt Leese
Glue B Gone?
zimmeritbasedlifefor
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 02:46 AM UTC
I'm restoring a big Verlinden Tiger. It's a glorious model w/ zimmerit and plenty of P.E done with heaping servings of CA. Ive removed most of it from the upper sections but the original owner misaligned all the tracks and suspension so I must take the entire suspension/track assembly off to rebuild with proper alignment. It is resin. I've tried nail polish remover and it's not working. I'm dealing with some already broken tracks and don't want to break any myself but the old trick doesn't seem to be working. I'm using 100% pure acetone and brushing it on. Dropping the parts in has lead to melting before, on a verlinden M-51 so I'm being very cautious. There must be a better way. Help...
Removed by original poster on 01/10/10 - 15:57:32 (GMT).
zimmeritbasedlifefor
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:45 AM UTC
Update; googled debonding crazy glue. idea of using Simple Green taken from a website. Moderate results. Then experimentally mixed it 50/50 with some Prestone Bug Wash window washing fluid and left it overnite. Today most of it came apart. Some tracks did breal but only a few turned to jugsaw puzzles. I still have to debond many tracks. will update.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
I am sure I read somewhere that placing the kit in a freezer sometimes popped items like this off, due to differant expansion rates, and the weakness of CA to lateral forces.
zimmeritbasedlifefor
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 03:49 AM UTC
Yes, thanks, I read and tried that as well. Clearly it worked . I am sure it is a process aimed at larger pieces though. Pop they come right apart.

The tracks are too delicate for this. Especially the hollow section where the guide tooth rolls through. Some have broken and I cant afford more breakage. Three days in the solution has the tracks flexible but not yet dissolving. Of Note is the godawful amount of CA slobbered on by the first builder. I know not to make a sweeping generalization but with a normal or moderate amount of CA the freezer method will work on smaller parts.

I'am slowly becoming attached to this Tiger, and not with CA on my fingers. It is an incredible piece for this size which are normally toy-like . The casting marks and everything else is now visible with all the paint removed. will update.
 _GOTOTOP