_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A thought about Quality Control...
Floyd_Walker
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
In reading the review for Trumpy's M1117, a thought came to mind about language differences and the effect it has on us modelers.
What these newer Asia-based companies need to do is retain a couple/few native language speakers to "proofread" the instruction and decal sheets before full production is started. That way, errors such as "TIE DOKN", "TOK EYE", can be quickly corrected.
These "proofers" compensation could only be a free production kit of what they check - the companies would still have a list of applicants 10 miles long

Just a random thought.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC
So true, Floyd!

Especially when you consider all the amount put down to produce a kit and then you fail with such simple things.

Cheers
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC
In the same vein its like those companies (Academy) who use built kits to advertise their models. The kits are often poorly built, with decal "silvering" and you have to think.....is that the quality of the kit??
Darryl
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
Another good example is the 1/700 Tribal Class Destoryer HMCS Huron that Trumpeter brought out.

Despite them advertising it as a WWII Canadian Warship (which it is), on the box, it says HMS Huron. On the name plate in the box, it says HMS Huron. However in the instructions where it shows to put the name plate, the nameplate reads HMCS Huron, as it is supposed to.

Thankfully I am doing mine waterline, so its a moot point, but still, I am sure there are a few people PO'ed about the name plate being FUBAR.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 09:35 AM UTC
Inaccurate translations into "Engrish" have been rife in the model industry since the early days of Tamiya, Fujimi & Hasegawa kits. If you want some real howlers, look at Tamiya instructions from the late 60s/early 70s. The same suggestions keep coming up and many non-english companies keep ignoring them. For the record, Tamiya has gotten much better and DML and Bronco don't seem to have anywhere near the problems Tamiya used to have. That said, you still do see a lot of really bad translations.

And it isn't limited to models or even instructions. For an indication of how broad the issue can be, take a look at the website http://www.engrish.com .

Paul
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
I think the reluctance of some companies to retain modelers as proof readers has to do with indusrtrial espionage. We've seen in the recent past where some companies will denounce anounced kits from a rival because they are bringing out a similar kit. So companies don't want news of new kits to released prematurely.

I think modelers quickly get over spelling mistakes on instruction sheets- decals are a different matter.

fitzgibbon505
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC
Spelling errors in instructions don't bother me that much. On parts, it's a different story. Dragon did a nice job on the winch for their US halftrack series, including the "Tulsa Winch Co." on the side. When it came to putting on the city in which they were made they put "Tula Olka." rather than Tulsa Okla.

Jim
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Spelling errors in instructions don't bother me that much. On parts, it's a different story. Dragon did a nice job on the winch for their US halftrack series, including the "Tulsa Winch Co." on the side. When it came to putting on the city in which they were made they put "Tula Olka." rather than Tulsa Okla.
Jim

Oh you'll never catch me making that glaring error, coz I've lived in Oklahoma for 4 years, and Tulsa has been a few occasional visits for me! Unless I've downed a 6-packer the night before I start on the markings... Go go Sooners!

But glaring errors I've made...especially the recent embarassing "Caligary" episode... Thank god that wasn't on the decals... or else, it would have been a living nightmare...

As for "TOK DOKN" woes, no worries - I'm looking into that one already plus interesting markings to boot so that you're not just looking at a correction set but something more enhancing to the otherwise fine and dandy kit...
Floyd_Walker
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the reluctance of some companies to retain modelers as proof readers has to do with indusrtrial espionage. We've seen in the recent past where some companies will denounce anounced kits from a rival because they are bringing out a similar kit. So companies don't want news of new kits to released prematurely.

I think modelers quickly get over spelling mistakes on instruction sheets- decals are a different matter.

Understood about industrial espionage - I can think of a couple of good kits that never made it past the mock-up stage because of it... Acc. Mins. almost went away entirely because Tamiya "stole their thunder" with the Beaufighter (IIRC).
At least the decals and instructions can be changed with very little notice - as fast as it can be loaded in their equivalent of Word or Photoshop, edited, and reprinted - a day or two, at worst. The proofreading of those could even be done by e-mail... the file sizes involved would work for attachments just fine.
Anyhoo.
This has just been a personal irritation of mine for a while, though I understand why it happens.
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Inaccurate translations into "Engrish" have been rife in the model industry since the early days of Tamiya, Fujimi & Hasegawa kits. If you want some real howlers, look at Tamiya instructions from the late 60s/early 70s. The same suggestions keep coming up and many non-english companies keep ignoring them. For the record, Tamiya has gotten much better and DML and Bronco don't seem to have anywhere near the problems Tamiya used to have. That said, you still do see a lot of really bad translations.

And it isn't limited to models or even instructions. For an indication of how broad the issue can be, take a look at the website http://www.engrish.com .

Paul

Tell me about it. I just bought my parents a Samsung Washer & Dryer set, and the instructions were nigh unreadable.

"For much washing good, clothing article should tight be enforced within the washer. For the stain instructionals, tri-button should be depressed instant or no take with load timings.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 10:43 PM UTC
Personally I'll take a few "Engrish" translation errors over two of my pet peeves. Sets of instructions that have upward of 12 different languages, or instructions for kits where ever thing on the box is in English but when you open the kit you find the instructions are all in a different language with no English at all.

Ok, rant over.

By the way I'm surprised nobody mention Academy's classic M4A2 Sherman U.S. Mariens.
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 3,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
Stop for a small time to be buying Asian kits and problem of mistakes will be in no time fixed.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I'll take a few "Engrish" translation errors over two of my pet peeves. Sets of instructions that have upward of 12 different languages, or instructions for kits where ever thing on the box is in English but when you open the kit you find the instructions are all in a different language with no English at all.

Ok, rant over.

By the way I'm surprised nobody mention Academy's classic M4A2 Sherman U.S. Mariens.

This is actually a really good kit and I wonder if it's reputation has suffered in part becasue of the mistake in titling.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is actually a really good kit and I wonder if it's reputation has suffered in part becasue of the mistake in titling.[/quote]
Didn't they fix that in later production runs? At least I think I remember seeing the kit in a magazine, with the typo corrected.

Quoted Text

In the same vein its like those companies (Academy) who use built kits to advertise their models. The kits are often poorly built, with decal "silvering" and you have to think.....is that the quality of the kit??

But on the other, what if some (more of a limited run) manufacturers did the same and used photos of the kit built by a highly skilled modeler, with every fit issue and seam perfectly finished, wouldn't that count as misleading advertising as well?
Floyd_Walker
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But on the other, what if some (more of a limited run) manufacturers did the same and used photos of the kit built by a highly skilled modeler, with every fit issue and seam perfectly finished, wouldn't that count as misleading advertising as well?

The funniest picture just came to mind....
A -VERY- limited-run mfr. puts out what Eetu described... but when you open the box, all you see is a block of styrene and a #11 hobby knife. Technically, they weren't -lying-, per se, but...
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 07:54 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

That could definitely be an issue, but I guess if they stipulated that the modeler not use any extra detailing kits and not add in extra detail such as weld lines and casting texture, it should go smoothly.
Grendelrex
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
They must have an A team for this, some Trump models have very clear English and other are incomprehensible.
 _GOTOTOP