_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New Pics
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hey everyone. I just got back a new roll of film today and I have posted new pics of the wreck of the Bismarck and a Panther G I'm working on. Check them out if you want...here's the link..

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nme2501/lst?.dir=/My+Models&.view=t

A few more photos to come as soon as I can find something to finish the last 20 pictures of the next roll on.
Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Iron panther ,..... The tracks on the Panther need abit of adjusting. On the right side they are too close to the hull or the other side is too far out (more likely)and they look to be a bit tight/short which is quite common with kit one piece tracks. There are a few tips like glueing them to the wheels, tieing them with string or inserting a pin to hold them down to show the weight of the heavy metal tracks. maybe you know about these, if not just ask. I see you have left off all the equipment ´till after spraying... not my prefered method but theres nothing wrong in that. Looks good already. Gonna cost you a fortune to keep getting photos developed ..... might be time to invest in a digital ....... they´re getting cheaper!
The bismarck look so cool. man there is so much detail in these ships. Looking good! Nice to see progress shots ...... keep us updated!!
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC
well the panther isnt finished yet by any means. as you noticed the rest of the equipment is missing, but most of that is cause i havent yet invested in an air-brush. ive been using spray paints for most of the body work and i plan on putting the panther in a dio later on as funds become available. as far as the bismarck goes, i think ive kind hit a rut on deciding what to do next. i took alot of the paint off that used to be there so i could re-apply a lighter shade of grey to the superstructure, and ended up eating away some of the plastic in the process. i think the next step for me is deciding on what kind of saw to use for taking off the stern. ive got it all marked in pencil which is hard to see in those pictures. i think today im going to paint the insides black and see how the shading works for the open barbettes. ships seem to be so much easier than armor!!!
Josh
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ships seem to be so much easier than armor!!!

Really? Doesn´t look like that to me ..... i guess its what you are used to. One other thing I should have said is that if you load your pictures onto MSN, you can link direct to here. Yahoo pictures are very small compared. There is a special Armorama section on MSN that nearly all here use!
When i started out, I used the same method of painting ...... spraying a monotone colour from a spray can. Some good results can be got like this. I still asembled everything first though and detail painted later. Im better at painting than I am at glueing maybe. Anyways ..... good luck with the rest of the build ...... sorry Im no help with your Bismarck ... Ive never built a ship.
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
ok, the way i understand painting armor now is to assemble the whole model then paint it with an airbrush and lighten and darken other areas that get too much/too little sun?? ive been doing the spray paint thing since i was 16 and its really worked well for my ships, but i think with the armor kits, it may be time for an upgrade. also...i keep hearing about white glue...all i use is the testors stuff in the tubes. should i be using the white glue or some kind of super glue to better attach parts?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC
I take it by using testors ... you mean cement? This is only good for glueing none painted kits. Once they are painted, you have to use superglue or 2 part epoxies. The cement is not really a glue. It works by melting the plastic of the kit parts and then when they harden the join to each other. If you use this is to stick on painted parts, they will fall off when you least want them to. Cheeck the search function here and type in glue or cement and read the threads. You will find some very helpful info there!
White glue is the the type that carpenters use to bond timber. It is white in colour and dries clear. For model use it is better to dilute it 50/50 with water. It takes a long time to dry, and is great for making ground work and when you roll up tissue for tent packs and tarps etc.
The stuff in tubes is good, but also available is little bottles with a needle adaptor where you can get better control with the cement, also comes in little bottles with a brush inside for better control. Nobody wants to see huge glue stains!!
This can be a big subject to go into all details ....... read up a bit on it and ask direct questions. There is loads of help here .......
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
Lookin good, the bismark looks pretty, un wrecked, how come ya have two, are you doing a wrecked and an unwrecked one? of so is the one painted with alot of black the wrecked one? cheers
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
Here is the link:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nme2501/lst?.dir=/My+Models&.view=t
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:50 AM UTC
Well the Bismarck still has alot of work left to do on it...I have to make the torpedo holes yet and slice off the stern and what-not...im just deciding on how and in what order i should do all that along with draw up some plans for myself to work with.
 _GOTOTOP