_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Military Model Preview
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 06:34 PM UTC
I came back to the hobby about a year ago after about a 15 year "sabbatical". I was a big fan of this model magazine and have heard that it is no longer around. I was wondering if it is still around in some form or by another name. And if the guys there were still involved in the hobby.

Thanks
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:24 PM UTC
Been long gone.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
Thanks. I had read that MMP had stopped publishing years ago. Anyway, I always enjoyed their build write-ups and had hoped that they may still be at work somewhere.
Floyd_Walker
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 02:18 AM UTC
Ah, MMP... fond memories, there.
I loved the way that they always "called a dog a dog", but I figure that very reason is what spelled their demise. "Thou shalt not irritate your advertisers"
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
IIRC, when they went under, there were still subscribers who were due additional magazines and there were some cries from those who were cheated out of what was right fully due them.

They have been gone quite a while, although I do remember reading a review of the AFV Club M88A1 kit. That kit is not that old.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
I didn't know about them stiffing the subscribers. If that's the case, then I lost a good deal of the respect that I had for the MMP staff. I do remember a comment or two in the Editorial Section about costs and how it was affecting advertisements and color pics. I have a stack of the MMPs but they are in storage. I started buying them when they started adding armor kits. They were still publishing when I took my extended break from kit building. I think I am missing the last 2 issues.

Anyway, there's more than ample online sources that do the build reviews. Once again, thanks.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 03:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't know about them stiffing the subscribers. If that's the case, then I lost a good deal of the respect that I had for the MMP staff. I do remember a comment or two in the Editorial Section about costs and how it was affecting advertisements and color pics. I have a stack of the MMPs but they are in storage. I started buying them when they started adding armor kits. They were still publishing when I took my extended break from kit building. I think I am missing the last 2 issues.

Anyway, there's more than ample online sources that do the build reviews. Once again, thanks.

Here's a couple of threads about the subject that I remembered reading about in the old school rec.models.scale USENET newsgroup a little over a decade ago. It'll give you some insight as to what happened back then so you don't have to rely on just my say so.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.models.scale/browse_thread/thread/73f56557ee31ff54/a403557fddbe5005?lnk=gst&q=mmp#a403557fddbe5005
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.models.scale/browse_thread/thread/73f56557ee31ff54/a403557fddbe5005?lnk=gst&q=mmp#a403557fddbe5005

This one is a little more scathing than the others:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.models.scale/browse_thread/thread/8b96b6c1d0faa89a/44338130a990df28?lnk=gst&q=mmp#44338130a990df28
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Sabot, I didn't mean to imply that I did not trust your account of the matter. I can see from my previous post how it might have come across as such. Some of the patrons at my LHS knew Ken Rasnik and spoke rather well of him, including his rather honest build reviews. I do thank you for the links and they really answer alot of the questions that I had about what appears to have been a big mess. You really went beyond what was asked.

Anyway, thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP