_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Andy one else got a Sony DSLR?
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
I've just bought a Sony Alpha 350 - wondered if anyone else has one?

I know the 350 is the old model, but the grip on it better suits my pound of sausages fingers!

Andy
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi Andy. I use Pentax myself, but as a member of the Amatuer Photographer magazine forum I know plenty that do use the Sony DSLRs, and get some very good results. Zeiss lenses are a big advantage if you can afford them, and the fact that Sony took over the old Minolta brand gives them a good pedigree!!

If you have any problems or questions you could a lot worse than ask on there!

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,847 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 07:56 AM UTC
Andy, welcome to the Alpha club. My SWMBO and I are both former Minolta SLR users (we literally wore them out). When we heard that Sony bought out Minolta it was only logical to examine their products as a replacement for our old cameras. I bought her an Alpha 100 about three years ago and we splurged on an 18-200 Zeis lens. We have never looked back and she got me my own A-330 for Christmas so I wouldn't be always messing up HER camera when shooting models. BTW, she just took a college photo course that was super intense and she and her Alpha came through it with flying colours. She started the course with 3800 pictures having been taken on it. By the time it was finished the camera registered over 8300 pictures and still going strong.

Cheers,
Jan
freem_1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi have an Alpha D100 great camera I take many airshow shots had no trouble getting the Thunderbirds in one shot in a tight stack use good quality lens that seems to be the answer
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
I have a D200 and is very satisfied with the quality versus price. Having a bunch of Minolta lenses from my old Dynax 7i helped the decision on the way...

Cheers/Jan
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 03:48 AM UTC
I'm currently working on my associates degree in digital photography and I use the alpha series myself. I went through the chuckles and comments from the other students and even my professor who is a Nikon fanatic but my Sony's A100, A550, A850) have done just as well as the Nikon's and Canons in class. Even the jokes and chuckles had stopped by the second semester.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC
I have an A100. Can anyone suggest some basic settings to use for taking model pictures? I apologize if the question is to vague, but I have no idea where to start
Darryl
 _GOTOTOP