_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Basic Tools Needed?
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
So for someone just starting out(not sure they even like modeling) what tools are absolutley needed?

Brushes
Glue----What type?
Paint --- Oil or Acrylic
Hobby Knife?

What else?
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Welcome to the world of modeling. If you don't want to invest alot of time or money into it, do a search of all the groups and you will find some great info.
I just returned to modeling about 2 years ago and started back slow. Some of the basic tools you should be able to find around the house or to local Wal-Mart, Target or craft store, such as Michels Crafts.
Some of the items I have in my model toolbox.

Exacto knife with plenty of blades
Nail files, all shapes and grit
Fine sand paper
Tweezers
Nippers
Needle nose pliers
Tooth picks
Nail clippers

That is just some of the very basic kit to get you started. Don't spend alot of money on your first few kits. You still could find some inexpensive ones that will get you started.

Sam
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 861 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Sam covered most of the basic tools. I would say you can probably get by with just one set of cutters/nippers. Something like this will work well for cutting parts of the sprues, and other trimming jobs. Check around, as you might have something like it at home already.

As for glue, I would suggest working with a good liquid cement, like Tenax-7R or Ambroid ProWeld. Testors liquid plastic cement can do in a pinch, but I find the long dry time annoying. I think my LHS has the Testors version for about $3.50 and the Tenax for about $4.50, so the extra buck is worth it, IMHO. Also, use a dedicated brush for applying the liquid cement. The brush that comes in the bottle is far too bulky and messy for proper use.

As for paints, it depends on what you're planning on building. You can easily get by your first few armor builds with rattle cans, as long as you're not painting intricate camo. Spray cans will also work for car models, and some aircraft, just to get you started. If you need to buy bottled paint, I would work with acrylics. Both Tamiya and Model Master brands are readily available. They clean up with soap and water, so removing goofs is easy, as is keeping your brushes clean. I would suggest that you just buy what you need for your first project, and then building from there if you decide to stick with it.

I've found some halfway decent brush packs at my LHS, but I believe Tamiya makes brush packs too. You don't have to go crazy, but you'll want a smaller, fine pointed brush for detail work, and a bigger, chisel tip brush for general parts painting. If you have a hobby shop nearby, ask the folks there for suggestions, but don't get talked into buying 6 different brushes!

Other items that you probably have on hand that will be useful for holding parts while painting or gluing: Scotch tape or masking tape, rubber bands and clothespins (the spring-loaded type).

Good luck and happy building!

-YL
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC
So you are saying I don't even need to buy jars of paint? I can do the whole thing with spray?

This is what I'm doing
 _GOTOTOP