Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Im dissapointed in the dicovery channel
bobman331
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:25 PM UTC
Well i stayerd up till 10 in anticipaition of the new dicovery channel show, "motor city motors" about detroit hot rodders. i expected to see a fun show similar to overhaulin. but instead i got a a massive wave of near horror, and then disapointment, until i finaly just turned the tv off. Why? because these hot rodders were cutting apart a completely stock, all original 1921 model T ford, to make some run of the mill hot rod. they were causing unfixable damage to the frame of a car that has survived for almost 90 years by lowering the roof, and cutting the frame to accept a big engine. Wow wjere have i heard of that before? it was fine in the 60s when model ts were a dime a dozen, but nowadays all original model Ts are getting really hard to find. Now i personally dont have anything against hot rods, i just have a massive problem with raping some old rare car to make a another "seen it a million times" rat racer wannabe when they could just use a fibre glass body.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
Yep, I think it kind of wasteful to destroy a perfectly good Model T Chassis, since you can scrape up retro parts for just about the entire project. But look one the bright side of things, one less original, increases the valve of the rest remaining.

The same as when people melt down their old worn gold and silver coins. Just makes the next grade go up in value.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 04:53 PM UTC
I totally agree with you Erik no reason doing so. Today it's not all that hard to fab up a frame or even use a fiberglass body to make said project...yeah I know it's not a steel but really. I bet that if it wasn't for the show those guys would have never went that route. You know the show paid for it.

The days of Overhaulin, Trucks, Two Guys Garage and so one are days of past, it seems that if it doesn't blow up or have a fist fight the show fails...reality TV just blows.

I also believe that Jackson Barret is destroying the Hot Rod industry with their high cost auctions. Two three years ago you could buy a 71-73 Cuda between 10 and 15 thousand dollars. Now try to get one less than 40 or 50 thousand. That also goes for the many other manufactures street, muscle and hot rods.

Joe
13M201182
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
That show was just another incarnation of Monster Garage form years ago. I couldn't even stand it past the first few minutes.

Oh well, I'm sure some one is out there wetting themselves over what they did.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
I look at it as its Just a car. Some people drive a car and some like to baby them. Keep em from getting a little dusty by Only driving on weekends or whatever. Remember to each their own. Just my opinion.