_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Brush Advise
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
I'm just starting out and I need to get some brushes. I don't want to spend alot of money since I am just getting into it, and I who knows I may not even like modeling.

I found these Link to brushes.

I also saw as set of brushes at Walmart for $5 that saud they were for Acrylic, Oil and Water Color. They looked alot like the ones I linked to. Would those be okay, or would that be terrible?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC
You have heard the saying "a bad workman blames his tools", when it comes to using brushes for painting buy the best you can afford, as you cannot get a good finish with cheap brushes. A good quality brush will last you a very long time if looked after, and so in the long run is the cheaper option. Use cheap brushes for applying groundwork and weathering.

You have not said what area of the hobby you are interested in, this could have a bearing on what type of brushes you buy, such as figures needing finer brushes rather than the base cote on a tank.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
Agreed - go with the best brushes you can afford.
Look to get natural fibers if possible, sable (sabel), any hair. Treat them well and keep them clean.

The shapes of the brushes is driven by the subjects you paint. Narrow rounds for figures, flat squares for larger subjects.

If you have a Michaels, AC Moore or Hobby Lobby near - they usually have a 40-50% off coupon in the papers. That'll help with the cost
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC
Vin, I personaly like red sable. They are very flexable and clean up easy. I have three sets of brushes, one for acrylic, others for enamels and oils. As you clean, you must make sure to clean all pigment out of the brush. I use two jars of thinner, first for the first dip and wipe, second is cleaner and I work it throughout the brush. For the brushes I use for oil painting, when cleaned, I put a drop of 3 in 1 oil to keep them soft and plyable. Just make sure to dip in thinner and clean before using. Hint!!! You can store used thinner and let it settle and pour of the clean to reuse. Bottom sludge in the container can be mixed with paint for ground work painting.Hope this is of some help to you.
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:55 AM UTC
I don't really plan on doing alot of figures(if any). I would like to do a battleship and armor for sure, and maybe some planes.

I do have a Hobby Lobby and a Michaels. Where in the store should I look for the brushes? Would they be in the regular art painting supplies or should they say For Modeling or Hobby Brushes or w/e.

Also I haven't even looked at paint yet. If I were to get one type of brush would I get for oil or acrylic? What is typically used on the models I said I would like to do?
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC
For small detail brushes, buy synthetic ones. They last longer than natural ones, and brush strokes aren't noticeable for small details like eyes, chips, etc.
 _GOTOTOP