_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Some help for a newbie
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
I''ve done 1 or 2 cars when I was a kid, and I would kind of like to do a ship or a tank. Do you need to have airbrushes and/or be really good at painting for stuff to look any good?

I just need some advice for a good place to start.

This is what I was looking at doing:

http://www.amazon.com/Revell-535-USS-Missouri-Battleship/dp/B0006I8POY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1261854680&sr=1-1
razorboy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:52 AM UTC
I think that you can probably finish that one okay with just brushes Vin. When it comes to armour, I would start small (1/72) and work your way up, brushes would be adequate for those as well.
Good Luck!
rb
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
Is there any sites to look at with beginner tips and tutorials?

Or could any of you guys give some of your best advice?
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:04 PM UTC
Welcome to the group and this is a great place to start. I have been back at it for 2 years now and my skills have improved. I'm leaning towards 1/700 scale in ships. I'm not big into airbrushing and my skills have improved with my brush work. I also use spray cans, but you also have to build a skill level with that. Ask away to the group members and remember, just have fun.

Sam
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:36 PM UTC
I only use brushes and still manage to achieve a decent build at the end in my own humble opinion. I would suggest you get back in with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Revell-RMXS0310-72-PT-109-Boat/dp/B0000DEW8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1261912893&sr=1-2
The slightly larger scale will make it easier to do the detail work....

My tips for brush painting:
Have loads of brushes of all sizes: 000 upwards
Clean all brushes very well immediately after.
Personally I prefer enamel paints and always thin slightly
Again my preference is to paint anything thats a different colour to the base colour before attaching it .

The most important thing is to enjoy it (it's a hobby!) and if each build is better than the last that's progress.
For example, my first 1/72 boat versus the last:

You will see some truly amazing builds here and elsewhere. Don't expect to be able to match that first time out.... I've been back at it 10 years and still cant!

Good luck,
Sean
razorboy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:24 AM UTC
Vin, all three of these were "Brush Jobs" -

I actually prefer a brush to my airbrush in many instances.
rb
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the pictures. That gives me some hope, even though I may not be creative enough to do some of that haha.

Would these brushes be good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRUMPETER-Modeling-Point-Brush-Flat-Brush-Set-09900_W0QQitemZ250553815343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a562bd12f

Also I'm still looking for some good tutorials and tips. Thanks
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:24 PM UTC
Hello Vin,
If you look at the top you will see a Tab called features. It has a lot of tips and advice and I think a few Tutorials that should help you.
About painting, I use spray cans for the under/primer coat and use brushes for the rest.
Remember this is a hobby, So have fun
Cheers,
Bruce
vindicate
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC
This may be a vague question but, to make a model look good, not necessarily amazing, do you have to be fairly artistic/ creative? Or if you learn the techniques you can make something look good?
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
That's a very subjective question. What do you mean by "good"? Mostly it's the weathering that will bring a model to life but you can do as much or as little as you want depending on your preferences and experience. You can build a model factory fresh or battle weary and anything in between. My advise is start small and gradully build up the amount and type of weathering you use. Again loads of threads and discussions around here about the subject. I've been back modeling for about 10 years but everything was exactly according to the instructions until I found Armorama and sites like it....

The other bit to bring a model to life is accessories: rucksacks, tents, tarps, boxes etc... Find a reference picture of what you're building and try and add the stowage. Loads of differeent types available as after-market sets.

The single most important thing though is to have fun!

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Sean
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just need some advice for a good place to start.

A basic modeling book like this one is a good place to start: http://mikeashey.com/BOOK-FIRST%20SHIP.htm

Quoted Text

Do you need to have airbrushes and/or be really good at painting for stuff to look any good?

An airbrush makes it easier to lay down a smooth, even coat of paint, create many types of camouflage, and utilize certain weathering techniques. It is not a prerequisite for making an excellent model, but it certainly helps. Some beginners jump right into airbrushing but most wait because of the expense and difficultly.

Quoted Text

Would these brushes be good?

I have no idea, but you can probably pick up something similar at the local craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) and save the shipping. If you join their mailing lists, places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels regularly kick out 40% and 50% off one item coupons.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

-Doug
 _GOTOTOP