Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
211 Medical
Crewchief
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC
After loosing a family member who was serving with the USMC on hill 55 during the Tet offensive 68. I decided I should enlist in the US Army (be all I could be) LOL

After completeing Basic, I went to AIT at Ft Benning GA. I was hustling down a staircase and misstepped, I fell and shattered my knee about two weeks before graduating The doctors put three long pins into my knee and while I was recuperating, my CO approached and told me since they were pulling all the men out of Viet Nam and the Army was having a tough time trying to find a place to put them all that he would just like to file a 211 medical discharge for me since it would take so long for me to heal. and he asked me if I would fight it. Feeling like there was really no use for me to stay, I took the discharge. I do regret that now but I feel no shame for my actions.

I go to the VA hospitals now from time to time and visit the boys, I also have taken the time and trouble to be there for some of them who need me at times getting out of bed at 3am to take them to psyc hospitals or take them things they need after being admitted. I really don't pat myself on the back for helping them, I figure I owe them that.

At this time I question myself as to whether or not, I have the right to share not of thier expierences I know they went through while in harms way, but what I have seen some of them go through after they came back home.

At this time I'd like to honor my friend USMC Scout Sniper 1st Seargent David Dodson whom I worked hard to get next to in friendship he was discharged last year with the following medals during his 16yrs with 1st and 3rd Marines (I saw his 214).

5 Bronze stars
1 Silver Star
Presidentual citation for bravery
3 purple hearts (for which he recieved mandatory discharge after the 3rd one)

He was awarded the Navy Cross this past 12th of December. Dave told me he really doesn't even want to look at his medals all they do is remind him of loosing so many boys who were with him. Often he laments the fact he can't be back there with them.

For me to hear people claim they were there when they weren't cheapens themselves, not the service these boys have given.

I was ALMOST A16 Crewchief I hope not to disalusion, decieve or offend anyone by using that name as my callsign
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Charles, i really like your story, i know how you feel about losing a family member in war though.Your friend David, tell him i said hi and i thank him for his service, theres nothing i respect more than vets
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi There,speaking strictly as a civilian,i do think you`ve earned the right to say and do the things you do.I read your story and was so moved that i`d thought i`d reply (and i hope anything i say does`nt offend).To my way of thinking you did`nt bust your knee delibrately or wimp out like some hippy - you volunteered to do your service for your country.
Secondly,you still to continue to "serve" in a small capacity by helping out the veterans in your community,this in itself says much about the person you are.
IMHO you should hold your head up and be proud - i,for one, would be proud to call you FRIEND !!.
May i take this opportunity to wish a happy new year and hope that the future brings all that your heart desires.
Yours Sincerley,Danny.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
Don't worry bout getting kicked out on a medical discharge. You did your best and it is not exactly like you shot yourself in the foot just to get out. You can be proud of yourself as I am increadably proud of our service people , especially the ones who serve in time of war. I know that feeling a bit..... about not being able to join your buddies when they deployed. For years I was a military instructor in my unit. Taught clases in weapons patrolling , you name it. They deployed about six months after I retired. Eight of them were killed , and a bunch of them were wounded. Roadside bombs and a mortar attack. I would not have cared much to be killed or wounded ,but I wish I were there with them. My thanks to you , your old Nam buddies and those who did not come back.........Al