_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Mixing Future and food coloring.......
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 09:42 AM UTC
I mixed some future and some yellow food coloring to get a yellow tint on the canopy of the F-16. The mix was half and half. You can add as many coats as you want. I didn't put too much on cause it was my first attempt at it, and I'm happy with the outcome of it. In the pic you can't really tell that it's there. Want to try and see if I can go back and add another coat to it.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
I plan to do that when I get back to my model of the Imperial Shuttle Tyderium. I'll just tint the main canopy darker to help hide the....::::cough cough:::: basic detailing....
I think there's a clearcoat by Testors that's supposed to give a pearlescant (sp?) reflection. I'll have to find an excuse to get some.

YodaMan
I now have an airbrush!
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
I know there's one by Testors that is for window tint for cars. That should be just what your looking for. :-)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC
I've heard of people doing this but have never tried it myself. I have seen some examples of it and you can get some good effects. I just haven't tried future yet for anything...maybe sometime.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
Penny...it's seems to me I read an article some time ago about some guy using that combo to tint the Future he had a green colour. He used it to tint the canopy on a Vietnam era Huey gunship and I believe it came out great. I had always wanted to incorporate that technique but never had the opportunity come up, and then just plum forgot it. That is until you just reminded me of it.
Many thx...

Tread.

Now I just have to come up with an opportunity before I forget it again...
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hey great idea!! Simple, and easily corrected should you somehow manage to screw it up.

Now where was that Huey. . .

-Paul
 _GOTOTOP