_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Copying resin
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:45 AM UTC
I was just wondering how modelers would feel about this, I've bought several resin kits, interiors, stowage etc. If I was to copy these for myself from the originals so I can make more for myself rather than keep buying more, is this wrong? Am I breaking any laws of copyright? Is it immoral even?
Just a thought but would like to know what others think.
Kenny.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:47 AM UTC
Depends on how you feel about it. If you are using it yourself only, I see no real issues with it, esp. copywrite issues. If you try to sell it, that is an issue and potentially illegal.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
As Gino says, and I agree completely, there's no real 'issue' over it for PERSONAL use. However, be aware that you'll get a copy which is going to be inferior to the original in terms of definition.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC
Gino's right about the legal side. A modified version of the original might not breach copyright but a direct copy definitely would. But any breach depends first on an intention to profit from your copying.

On the other hand, I do think it's immoral. Someone is trying to sustain a business by making resin bits; to copy them instead of buying them off him is to deny him income that he could otherwise have. Many after-market manufacturers are small operations for whom a handful of units could make the difference between success and faiulre. While they're unlikely to be relying on sales to put food on the table, the effect on their operations is still enough to put them at risk - and if they fold because they're losing money, no-one else can buy from them either.

There are of course some quite large manufacturers too. The effect on them will be less marked and they won't feel the pinch. But the principle is precisely the same.

You may be thinking, well, what about cloning kit parts? There is a small difference: in general, when someone does this, they're copying only small elements rather than the entire kit. Some companies have sprue-buying services, and if they do, the principle outlined above means that you should use that instead. But if they don't, and you want only a few parts that would require the purchase of the entire kit, I don't think there's such a problem. Again, though, you'd have to be doing it for personal use only.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 04:36 AM UTC
Kenny, depending on what the part or parts are, the cost of the rubber and the resin can add up to more than what the item is worth.
I used to cast off bits for myself like ammo boxes and the like, but when I then got into the business of making masters and casting for a living, it just didn't seem right what I was doing. As Sean said, and I quote:

Quoted Text

Many after-market manufacturers are small operations for whom a handful of units could make the difference between success and failure. While they're unlikely to be relying on sales to put food on the table, the effect on their operations is still enough to put them at risk - and if they fold because they're losing money, no-one else can buy from them either.

Spot on.

Quoted Text

However, be aware that you'll get a copy which is going to be inferior to the original in terms of definition.

Yes and no Jim. It depends on how good you are at casting, the product you use and how much time you put into it. 95% of my "Original Masters" are in fact 1st Cast Masters. Meaning, the first good cast of the original part that has been moulded will then become the "Original Master" for the next set of moulds. At times, well more often than not, for me anyway, the original part can be damaged in one way or another in the moulding process. With a 1st cast master you don't need to worry about any more damage to the Original part because resin is harder than the plasticard. At times, and I have had this a couple of times now, the 1st cast master, cleaned up is better than the original part.

In closing, Kenny, ask the kit manufacture first if they will sell to you the extra parts needed. We do.

Cheers Jason
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 04:41 AM UTC
Definitely crosses an ethical line if you're making multiple copies of entire kits. Now, if you were to use the original as a basis for scratchbuilding (pretty much what I've had to do with the couple AEF Design kits I bought) that's another story. Remember, this is a hobby, a way to use up excess funds. If you want it but can't afford it, save for it or do without. This has beendiscussed extensively on a couple of the figure forums. Even if the original company is gone, someone still owns the copyright.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 04:51 AM UTC
How many "extras" are you talking about? Ya gotta figure the guy who sells the resin may be the one who took his time and talent making the origonal{not always the case now-a-days though}, and even if he didn't he's selling it for recoupe for that piece and future pieces. The phrase "support the guy who supports your hobby" rings true, but if your only needing afew extra pieces and they're just for you...that should be ok.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
Whether you're making copies for yourself or to sell it's wrong because you're taking income away from the original designer and producer.
 _GOTOTOP