Hosted by Matt Leese
Comments on the Paasche VLS
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC
Can someone knowledgeable about airbrushes give me a read on the Paasche VLS? I was planning to purchase the IWATA Revolution CR, but my wife beat me to the punch and bought the Paasche VLS as a Christmas gift. My prime concern is the fact that it's not a gravity feed brush. Is that a differentiating factor I'm even likely to notice as a novice modeler? How would you say the brush stacks up in general?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC
I have a VL I haven't used n a while. about the biggest complaint of it vs a gravity is it takes more time to clean up. other than that it's right up there IMHO
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thanks, Matt. I'm surprised to hear you say the major drawback of the VLS having a suction feed is that it takes longer to clean the airbrush. I was expecting to hear you say it doesn't deliver paint quite as well as a gravity fed airbrush. This point aside, would you say the VLS and Revolution CR are comparable overall?
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 06:11 AM UTC
The VLS is a very good airbrush. I've probably seen more of them in professional use than any other single type.
They are versatile, have lots of options, parts are readily available, and work well with pretty much any paint you can think of (at least in my experience).
I think you'll like it!

Mark
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 204 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
The VLS is a good and sturdy airbrush, agree with all that the cleaning can be tedious but very good results overall.

One big difference with Iwata is that with the VLS you most likely have to keep changing the needle and the tip frequently because they use a very fragila and bendble metal for those parts, Iwata on the other side uses a stronger alloy that will require less often part changes.... so no major difference in the end.....

Mirko
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
Had a VLS and liked using it very much until a piked up an Iwata Revoluton CR. Liked Iwate so much that I bought a second one for detailed work (HP-CH). The cleaning on the VLS was the only step I didn't like as it took some time but other than that, it is a good brush.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP