_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Steerable Linkage
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 04:10 AM UTC
Looking for some advice on how one would go about making a non-steerable model into a steerable one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi Randall,

It depends on your model, I found a solution on the Italeri 15cwt. Can you photgraph the axle/wheel you want to move?

Regards

Brian
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
Looking at doing a Canadian Staghound and I really don't like having the wheels pointing forward as if it was parked. Here is a link to the Perth Military Modeling web site, which gave a very extensive review on the Bronco Kit. He mentioned that you could make the steering linkage movable.
Quoted Text

This is not designed to be steerable but it wouldn’t take too much work to reposition the hubs or even make them steerable for those wanting to go this far.

. As I have never done this before expect for sanding down the hubs where the wheels are clued that is about it. Anyway any advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated

Here is the link http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/bronco/cb35017.html.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
There are a couple of ways to do it.

For a more realistic way, you can cut all the steering components (wheel hub, u-joints, steering arms, etc.) apart at their joints and reposition them. Glueing them back into the turned position. This obviously takes a while and can be tricky to get all the angles and pieces to line back up.

The second way is to simply cut off the connection points at the hub where the wheel attaches. Once it is cut off, drill a hole at the angle you want the tires turned and insert a piece of rod as the new, turned, connecting point. Once the wheels and tires are installed, ensure they both point in the same plane and it will "look like" the wheels are turned.

Be sure to offset the steering wheel from center for both methods as well.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
A less complicated way is to simply cut the axle housing on each side, not at the hub, but about 1/8 inch or so away from it, AT AN ANGLE. Then reverse them. Remember that the finished angle will be twice the angle of the original cut.
Originally I thought you wanted to make it "turnable" all the time, in which case I'd say just bogart the movable spindles from a car kit.

Multiple post above deleted.
Removed by original poster on 12/07/09 - 20:40:19 (GMT).
brian638
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
HI Randall,

Thank you for the info, and the link, I will draw a picture as a picture does speak a thousand words. I have worked out a simple system, You do have to grind the back of the wheel hub using a spherical grinding burr. However I will say that it sounds harder than it is. I will post he picture here once complete.

Cheers

Brian
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:33 PM UTC
Thanks to all the help.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC
You might be able to cannibalize the turnable parts from a Tamiya 251 halftrack or the newer Zvezda 251 halftrack. Don't know if any of the 250 Tamiya or DML halftracks have this option.
How about it AM and cottage industry peoples? steerable updates for wheeled kits of older vintage. Movable suspension for same as well as 4,6, and 8 rad Dark Side rides?
Just a thought...........
Rick
brian638
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Randall,

Later than I had intended but here is the 'how-to'. If you would rather have a PDF, drop me a PM with you email address and I'll get it sent ASAP. If you have any questions ask away, as I did this conversion blind the first time around hoping that it would work! Thankfully it did, and I was very happy with the result.

Regards

Brian

_GOTOTOP