_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Homebrew Decals!
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:51 AM UTC
This may be revolutionary, or maybe not.

I've been talking with my local art shop guy, and we devised something for making custom decals. I didn't want to share this at first but my printer is less than good and I need testers.

Procedure:

1. Find an image. The beauty of this is that it can be anything on your computer, your face, a picture of a cat, the Mona Lisa from the internet, a doodle you made in MS paint... etc. I imagine it would be something relevant to your model though.

2. Print the image onto a high quality paper. Its basicall magazine consistency. It was "Hammermill color copy" paper I think ($10), that he suggested. Obviously the better your printer the better your image. I'll look up that paper, I'm not completely sure.

3. Paint 3-4 layers of an artists medium known as "polymer medium" ($10) onto the decal. It needs to be thick but not so thick that theres a discernable bump.

4. Cut out the decal with an exacto knife.

5. Stick the decal into a shallow pan (I like lids of pringles cans etc- they're crisps for any brits reading this), full of WATER, and place it face down.

6. Gently rub off the paper with a soft brush, off of the back of the decal, till its just the image imprinted onto the polymer medium.

7. Apply the decal in standard fashion- whats funny is that I'm willing to bet every one of you knows how to do this better than me. I think its future/gloss medium, then decal, then matte medium/dullcoat? Not sure.

Reason why I posted this here and not in some sort of tutorial section, is because I've never actually tried it. I need people to test it and feedback.

Any takers? No need to wreck anything if you have a piece of plasticard...

Thanks!
-Zack
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Zach,

A number of companies make decal paper for inkjet and laser printers, both white and clear. A search for "decal paper" or "water slide decal paper" will turn up many varieties. It's fairly cheap, too. Be sure to use the right type of paper for your printer. Basically, you make your design, print it on the decal paper, seal the paper with a clear coat, and then apply the decals normally.

I have yet to find the perfect decal paper, but the stuff sold by Testors works pretty good.

-Doug
 _GOTOTOP