_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Superglue simplification
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
I'm looking to DIY superglue accelerator. I noticed that plain old h2o will instantly solidify superglue on my fingers, but its doesn't work like that on plastic. So why doesn't it?

Any other homebrew ideas?

What about superglue Debonder? is there an alternative to that?

Thanks!
-Zack
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC
for a debonder... Acetone (Nail polish remover)

And yeah you'd think water would work... but no.... it can but the CA becomes brittle if it does work
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
You can use baking soda to cure the superglue instantly. That's one way of fixing seams and gaps too, just fill or spread the superglue and then add baking soda to help smooth it out and cure it instantly.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
Wow, wish I had known this last night. I've heard about using talc to thicken CA for filling gaps. When I tried it last night it just made this huge blob on the end of my mixing stick and wouldn't flow. I thought that talc and baking soda were different chemicals, I wonder if some baking soda was in the foot powder?
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
In the UK you can buy CA glue with accelerators under th guises of wood mitre glue and uPVC glue. They come as a bottle of CA and a pressurised can of accelerator. You apply the CA and on one piece and spray the accelerator on the other. Adhesion is almost instant when the pieces are joined together. I have also used it with the CA squeezed into a gap and the accelerator sprayed over the top, this is obviousy a bodge job though. And at work not on a model.
I would think that you can buy this gear in the US at any home improvement/trade store.
 _GOTOTOP