_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Making a technique "library"
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:24 AM UTC
I know when I originally signed on to kitmaker I described my hobbies in detail and got a lot of "I know what 40k is and I think you'll find that many of us have tried it" responses. You were very welcoming and I have come to trust this board for its degree of kindness I've only seen with one other place on the net. (bartertown.com- my primary hangout )

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm into science fiction wargaming, which is NOT to any sort of scale, NOT historically accurate in any way, and NOT anywhere near as difficult as what you do. Said hobbies involve building fictional soldiers and vehicles and playing a war game with terrain you guys might find in a diorama. (all my terrain has a martian dirt theme, I would say its not bad ) One of the games like this is called Warhammer 40k made by Games Workshop (GW).

Some of us are really good with the "hobby" side of things- but a lot of the techniques you see in places like this are unheard of. I bought a MIG weathering set of 6 pigments and got a lot of "that's weird paint" remarks. My airbrush is crappy (I bought used) but people think its awe inspiring. Etc.

So to the point: I think I could start a website to bring all the techniques I can find to my crowd, and to make them easier for people to understand.

I'm calling it www.theartisticwargamer.com (don't google that just yet, I've got to buy a provider and domain name still). I'm going to have a forum for people to submit articles, then have them rated by forum goers. This way any average joe can't just post something moronic. I'd be looking for any and all contribution, the point would be to create a "library of techniques" for every kind of basic technique, even "advanced" basic techniques.

My questions:

1. what do you guys think of the site name?

2. Do you think it'll work? Ideas?

3. Can I count on any of you to be there when I get it up?

4. Any Ideas on how to do the discussion/forum side? Feedback?

5. Has this been done? anything similar on the net now or in the past?

6. And finally, anyone have any experience with hosting services and could suggest a good provider?

Thanks in advance, any help would be MUCH appreciated!
-Zack

P.S. I'm personally not an expert, I'm proficient at best. I figure I'd make a good webmaster though, I have experience with computers.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi Zack. Since nobody has come forward to give you any input let me be the first. I don't know anything about gaming, although I used to paint gaming figures when I was younger as they were really cool looking. Haven't done so in many a year though. I think your idea for your website has some merit and could prove useful to those beyond your gaming friends. The site name seems like it would generate interest amongst the gaming crowd which is what you seem to be after. I would be willing to contribute an article or two if you needed/wanted something. I have a friend who is an exceptional gaming figure painter. I'm sure I could get him to send you something as well. As to whether this has been done before, I couldn't tell you as I don't know. I have no experience with web sites other than surfing them If this is something you really want to do, do it. If you fall on your behind, then so be it, but you will have tried and known what it was like instead of always wondering..."what if..."...
Start small and add to things as you see a need to. Get input from your forum visitors as to what they would like to see and try to accomodate them in that regard. Obviously you can't please everybody, but do your best. KEEP IT UPDATED!! That is the biggest complaint I have for some websites I have visited. Data that is years old and just left to rot. Hope this at least gives you somewher to start. Best of luck with you endeavor. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP